• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mexico 20 pesos 1918
1 1

15 posts in this topic

I picked this beauty up at a local auction. Is it as important (necessary) to get it grade for resale?  Not familiar with foreign coins for resale . I am really liking it but want to keep my options open. Any advice or are foreign coins transactions similar to U. S. ? Thanks for any experience you care to share.84633C6B-EEB9-47D6-897A-44CFDBBB31A0.jpeg.6e93d7fc77116dcc2fa19eadfcda8d25.jpeg

234D54CE-47F9-49C2-BFBB-9EA5D51B37CA.jpeg

Here's my amateur opinion:

It's more of where are you selling it rather than Foreign V US Coins.

Grading matters in the US, while not so much elsewhere (But this has changed in the recent years, specially Europe).

My opinion, grade anything worth grading, specially Gold. Just to make sure it's problem free (according to grading experts). Also the grade will help you determine how much you can ask for it. 

I always admired this coin. Enjoy it!

Best of luck!

Edited by Voltyris
Taking a shot at Grading Experts.

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.  This was the first time I had ever seen this coin and was totally unaware of it. I had been following another coin and stumbled on this and thought How cool is this?  The Aztec sunstone on the reverse is intricate and needs magnified to see all the details. What fun :) 

5B6BEA4D-486A-4B0A-8934-F6F27657C28F.jpeg

Edited by rons

RWB, Thanks, I realized that when I downloaded it but it was oriented correctly on my phone. Now that I am fully awake I  played with it for 10 minutes and I think it is correct now. Just call me Mr. Technology ;) 

Goldfinger    Yes, this is .4823 oz of gold. They are all over the place through the years I guess. I had to look it up before bidding and thought what an odd number but again I am new in the foreign coins arena:) 

@rons The Aztec stone is magnificent, yes. Mexican coins are pretty nice. They are also popular in the US and sell quite fast. 

A whole different world beyond US coins. It's a shame some people remain prisoners of one country (whatever the country is). It's nice to go out and collect some foreign coins.

Maybe grade it when TrueView is discounted. Some glamour shoots would help : ) 

Edited by Voltyris

The detail on your coin is outstanding 😎 So much detail in such a small space. Thanks for sharing💥😍

7 hours ago, GoldFinger1969 said:

Mexico has some weird coin weights....I think their 50 or 100 peso coin from decades ago is like 1.3 ounces or something like that.

The 50 peso was about 1.21 ounces of pure gold, 37.5 g which makes sense with the peso-dollar peg at 2-1 it would have been roughly the equivalent of a $25 gold piece.  The 20-peso pictured in this thread was about the same size as a $10 gold piece.  It all makes sense when you consider the gold standard and fixed exchange rates.

The pictured coin (immediately above) is a newer restrike of 1959 - possibly the 1990s. There are slight design differences from restrike hub-to-hub. None are important - they are attractive bullion.

@RWB Interesting, thank you for the comment. 

From NGC (KM# 478):

During 1960-1971 a total of 1,158,414 pieces were restruck, most likely dated 1959. In 1996 matte restrikes were produced. An additional 113,300 pieces dated 1959 were struck in 2000-2017.