• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Canada 1967 silver quarter's ????

8 posts in this topic

Can anyone tell me if they have tried weighing Canadian 1967 quarte's.
As the mint changed from 80% to 50% silver midway through the year of 1967. I am having a hard time figuring this out
I have read many times that there is no way to tell the 80% from the 50%, but the Canadian mist says there is a weight difference.

Now I have heard of the water test but that is just not practical, plus I am just not that good at math LOL
Any help would be very much appreciated
Best
Alan

Technical specifications
1953 - 1967
Composition: 80%silver, 20% copper
Weight (g): 5.83
Diameter (mm): 23.88
Thickness (mm): n/a

1967 - 1968
Composition: 50% silver, 50% copper
Weight (g): 5.05
Diameter (mm): 23.88
Thickness (mm): n/a

Well I don't know the tolerance range for Canadians but with a weight difference of almost .8 grams I would think weight would be a good first step.  Tolerance probably wouldn't be any greater than that of similar US coins so about +/- .2 grams.  That would make the minimum weight for the 80% silver about 5.6 grams and the maximum of the 50% silver would be 5.25 grams.  So almost a .4 gram gap between the ranges.

No answer for your question Alan, but it is nice to see you post again. I haven't seen you in a long time my friend!

Bobby

I "tried weighing Canadian" quarters but the danged critters wouldn't hold still. The dimes are even worse....and Loony Birds just fly off into the Rockies with Dudley Do-Right in hot pursuit and Little Nell chasing after.

Dudley_Do-Right.jpg

A while ago I bought some rolls of unc 1967 quarters and dimes, and the dealer and I just settled on the midpoint between to two since they were just selling for melt.  If I remember right it was somewhere around 4x face in US dollars.

i was under the impression that only the PL was 80% but not positive... . but could you use this: https://ebay.us/LInApi or another type of XRF analyzer? pricy for just a few but almost necessary if you were dealing in many of them. 

Maybe I can straighten things out a bit.

First of all the OP has been misinformed. The 80% and 50% silver quarters both weigh 5.83 g. The difference in weight between the two is so miniscule, you can't tell the difference. Most dealers will split the difference and pay 65% bullion as there is no easy way of knowing which is which. I don't t know where the 5.05g that the OP mentioned came from but the 1968 nickel quarter weighs 5.07g. You can't have a 50% silver coin weighing less than a nickel one.

Both the business strikes and PL coins came in 80% silver.

Edited by Greenstang