• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2005P Minnesota quarter extra tree?

8 posts in this topic

I’ve read about the Minnesota quarter having an extra tree but I’m not sure what I’m looking at here. There might be doubling in the bottom circle but I’m not sure. Then there’s two marks in the top circle that might’ve been an extra tree? Any thoughts?

3ACD71EC-FBE1-4C51-AF25-85D4E28F9903.jpeg

FEFC9FA2-E40A-4A59-A08F-F47F0405D6F0.jpeg

CAFF1220-DF9E-4361-9D40-935A3DB2054E.jpeg

2 hours ago, Just Bob said:

Variety Vista lists 90 different doubled die reverses for the Minnesota quarter, and all involve the tree(s). You can start with numbers 1-21 on the link below, and follow the links on the page to the other 69.

Good luck.

Click here to begin your search.

Now I'm confused. Aren't most of these things just spurious die chips/cracks? Why are they all designated "DDR"?

Apparently, the hub/die blank alignment is frequently off enough to cause one or both to jump into the correct position after the pressure has started, sometimes with enough intensity to cause an audible pop. This creates minor doubling on many dies, especially in the center, where the hub and die first meet. Although they (mostly) are not same form of hub doubling usually associated with multiple-squeezed dies, they are real doubled dies. Oddly, there have even been some dies found with (very minor) doubling/extra thickness that is not in the center.

2018 Michigan Pictured Rocks Quarter WDDO-001

On 3/4/2020 at 12:28 PM, Just Bob said:

Apparently, the hub/die blank alignment is frequently off enough to cause one or both to jump into the correct position after the pressure has started, sometimes with enough intensity to cause an audible pop. This creates minor doubling on many dies, especially in the center, where the hub and die first meet. Although they (mostly) are not same form of hub doubling usually associated with multiple-squeezed dies, they are real doubled dies. Oddly, there have even been some dies found with (very minor) doubling/extra thickness that is not in the center.

2018 Michigan Pictured Rocks Quarter WDDO-001

I've often thought that the new sort of center doubling would have to be accompanied by a noise. Is there someone who has actually written about hearing it?

44 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

I've often thought that the new sort of center doubling would have to be accompanied by a noise. Is there someone who has actually written about hearing it?

From the Wexler page on doubled dies (single squeeze method):

" Hubbing press operators have described a “clunking sound” that is heard when the hub snaps back into proper alignment."

Click here for a link to the full page