• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1776 Continental Coin

13 posts in this topic

Fake.

There are not good enough photos supplied to consider the possibility that it's real, and there seem to be hundreds of thousands (maybe millions) of replicas and bad counterfeits for every authentic example. Thus, the logical initial assumption is that it's fake, and the burden of proof rests with authenticity. We get several of these per week, along with "silver" 1944 pennies, "copper" 1943 pennies, 1804 "silver" dollars, and so on.

I wonder how many authentic examples have "currency" misspelled. Though given the country of origin, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if we began our coinage journey with a nice little burst of semi-literacy.

Measures just over 36 mm. There are “pits” in the coin, I do not know if that is indicative of a real or fake coin. Also, just do I understand, do real or fake coins have a “seam” along the edge? I have read of that too.  I have tried searching for clues on line and the only one I can get that matches what I have is the weight at 17.5 grams. 

Thanks for all your help 

Ouch on three pictures up. If it was real, you're destroying the value by holding it like that. I don't think it's real though.

@JKK I think there's three spellings on real ones - currency, curency, and currencey. Isn't there one theory on these that they were made in England to poke fun at us?

12 minutes ago, kbbpll said:

Ouch on three pictures up. If it was real, you're destroying the value by holding it like that. I don't think it's real though.

@JKK I think there's three spellings on real ones - currency, curency, and currencey. Isn't there one theory on these that they were made in England to poke fun at us?

It would be like urinating on a fish. If there were such a pranking, though, we had the perfect rejoinder: "Joke's on you crumpet-dunkers! We got no one who knows the difference axcept a few eggheads at colleges, and we ignore them guys! WINNING!"

No just two spellings on the real ones, with one R and with two R's.  Not sure which one is rarer.  And the theory that they were made in England seems to be fairly strong but hasn't been conclusively proven.