• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kennedy satin proof?

34 posts in this topic

Hello,

So I found this kennedy half dollar struck like a proof coin but with a satin finish instead of a mirrored one. I bought it from a man who bought it from a coin shop they bought it from an estate sale. Any thoughts? Did they make satin proofs?

84CE5D1C-4B45-4A82-AD99-C0DB6173D449.jpeg

31C944DD-ADD9-4483-9F78-2DA615B15846.jpeg

Did they make satin proofs? In 1964 ........YES SMS although the Kennedy sms wasn't suppose to exist I think a few have been found they are extremely rare good thing you don't have one of these 100,000 dollar proof coins touching it with your hands and out of the mint packaging yours appears to be a MS coin 

important die marker on the 1964 SMS Kennedy half dollar is known as a “dangling 4”. This diagnostic is a tiny, teardrop shaped piece of metal that descends below the 4 digit in the coin’s 1964 date. Last one sold in 2016 for about 50K. Sorry you don't have #13 but you have a nice 90% silver coin

12 hours ago, Conder101 said:

Nice business strike.

Yes, this. Based only on these pictures (a bad idea for really high end coins), this Kennedy could get a really gaudy grade. Not because it's a variety or satin anything - just because it's exceptionally nice. You know, the "real" reason to have coins graded.

Edited by VKurtB

Thank you for your contributions. I appreciate both your time and expertise. There is a little nub of metal extending immediately from the intersection of the crosslet of the four, but I’m assuming not a dangling one? Thanks. The four appears rounded on the bottom of the extending crosslet.

1F1BC46D-7596-434C-94C2-377F327546D4.jpeg

3FE23496-63CA-4CCB-834C-9FC9C3A0A19A.png

Not satin. Stop it! Long ago now you've stopped "asking" and are now "selling" the idea that it's satin. That's not how this works.

Edited by VKurtB

We get it. It's shiny. However, the coin and the story have bothered me from the beginning. I think something has been done to it. Buffing? Polishing? Almost none of your pictures are clear enough or lighted properly to show what the surfaces actually look like, except maybe the one I pasted below. Did the "man who bought it from a coin shop" try to sell you this as a "satin proof"? How much did you pay for it? Your persistence is making me suspicious.

52AB918D-8199-48BC-85F8-0EA890595B5C.png.404cc912b8243bb98f4eb9f7419d16b2.png

11 minutes ago, kbbpll said:

We get it. It's shiny. However, the coin and the story have bothered me from the beginning. I think something has been done to it. Buffing? Polishing? Almost none of your pictures are clear enough or lighted properly to show what the surfaces actually look like, except maybe the one I pasted below. Did the "man who bought it from a coin shop" try to sell you this as a "satin proof"? How much did you pay for it? Your persistence is making me suspicious.

Whatever it is, if he keeps handling it that way, the surfaces will soon look less attractive and perhaps that way solve the problem. Edge handling is fine for circulated coins but it's almost impossible to handle uncs, pinching them so hard between fingers, without getting some skin oil on the surfaces.

3 hours ago, JKK said:

Almost none of your pictures are clear enough or lighted properly to show what the surfaces actually look like

Yep. Whoever told you that cell phone pictures were going to be good enough, … well, they lied to you.

Getting easy pictures isn't good enough, and getting good enough pictures isn't easy. You ambition is over-running your technique and experience (or the lack thereof). People are decades into this hobby for a reason - there really aren't any shortcuts for doing things right, regardless what you may have seen in a YouTube video or website, which are themselves extremely poor substitutes for reading books.

Edited by VKurtB

Thank you all for your time and opinions. I have one final post comparing it to the satin finish on the 2005 “satin proof” kennedies. The granular surface for the satin finish on the 2005 bears resemblance to the 1964 coin I display.

AEDAB60F-36A4-4824-B971-2C67A5D8A833.png

3A5BFE00-3A80-4F06-A095-731B253019CC.png

4274085C-C726-4C95-AD69-40FB6D36BF47.pngI think this is pretty clear. I could put a flashlight on it and maybe some c stands with some 10k’s.

Edited by Ratzie33

And well, I’m an optimist but it looks like the mint may have marked this coin # 3 out of 100 if you look directly to the left of the bottom of the Y, and with a P mintmark if you look directly to the right of kennedie’s neck.

D24D3AFD-83E3-4E95-A047-626A1AC6B0A4.png

C77C4A11-0A6D-40BF-BAAC-E3FEBE2FE208.png

On 2/28/2020 at 7:37 AM, kbbpll said:

52AB918D-8199-48BC-85F8-0EA890595B5C.png.404cc912b8243bb98f4eb9f7419d16b2.png

10 dollars

Look at these die polishing marks on Kennedy’s face. I’ve never seen a coin with satin mirrors on it. VKurtB could you post a picture of one of your silver satin finish coins so I can make a professional comparison? Thanks.

7C6FD325-0110-4290-BC29-F85B69977826.png