• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1999 P Delaware spitting horse quarter?

10 posts in this topic

It looks like it could be but there's a lot of other scratches etc on that coin; just be sure it is raised. It is nearly impossible to tell a raised area from a scratch in a photo.

If it is, great!

3 hours ago, Kirt said:

It looks like it could be but there's a lot of other scratches etc on that coin; just be sure it is raised. It is nearly impossible to tell a raised area from a scratch in a photo.

If it is, great!

I thought that too. I wasn’t sure because of all the other scratches. But I’ll try and tell if it’s raised or not and let you know. 

19 minutes ago, MattMatt88 said:

I thought that too. I wasn’t sure because of all the other scratches. But I’ll try and tell if it’s raised or not and let you know. 

So I ran a toothpick back and forth over the “spit” and it feels like a bump. Kind of hard to tell with a toothpick though. I didn’t want to use anything metal like a safety pin so as not to scratch it. 

Turn off all of the lights in the room, and use only a single lamp to view the coin. Does the die scratch (spit) cast a shadow on the same side as the raised designs? If so, it is raised. Is there an indent on either side that would indicate a scratch on the coin that pushed metal up? If not, then it is likely a die scratch or gouge, (or crack) which created the raised area on the surface of the coin.

5 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

Turn off all of the lights in the room, and use only a single lamp to view the coin. Does the die scratch (spit) cast a shadow on the same side as the raised designs? If so, it is raised. Is there an indent on either side that would indicate a scratch on the coin that pushed metal up? If not, then it is likely a die scratch or gouge, (or crack) which created the raised area on the surface of the coin.

That’s pretty cool Just Bob. And yes I can see a shadow on either side when I move the light from one side to the other. This is the best picture I could get. BBFF5391-2A38-40DB-AB37-EAA3C9E25E32.thumb.jpeg.473718c77e43ab49a017a003915e54af.jpeg