• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Researching Appalachian Hoard Nickels

12 posts in this topic

To keep this forum post short and sweet I am doing research for my Freshman Ohio University College research paper. I am researching the current whereabouts of the somewhat well know Appalachian hoard nickels. With this research I am following certification numbers images and auction records. I'm currently compiling a list and files of pictures.

If any NGC Forum users have these coins with the beginning serial numbers 291239-xxx, 291240-xxx, 291279-xxx, 291281-xxx or coins designated as Bingham Collection with these beginning serial numbers please let me know!

With this information I do request also that you send me a picture so I can catalog and help keep track and preserve the numismatic history behind this under-represented category.

If you have any questions just go ahead and ask in the comments or we can communicate over email or messages.

Currently I have 28 catalogued photo coins from forums dating back to 2003 and historic auction records from Heritage auctions and Great Collections

1 hour ago, kbbpll said:

I assume that you know that two 291239-xxx coins are currently for sale on ebay, and another claiming AH with 295191-xxx, and another 291240-xxx, all same seller. The collection is not designated though.

I believe I have those ones cataloged, do you mind posting or sending me the eBay links?

21 hours ago, physics-fan3.14 said:

Ah, good old Appalachia. 

That brings up some unpleasant memories. 

I wouldn't call this hoard "numismatic history" so much as "notorious scam." 

Please fill me in on the "scam"

4 hours ago, APILON said:

Please fill me in on the "scam"

So its widely controversial that the coins themselves were artificially toned due to the double sided bright neon colored toning. I myself after collecting specifically Jefferson Nickels mint state and proof for about two years have also come to some belief that this hoard of coins fall under what I believe is questionable toning methods. Spotted patterns and other strange ring transitions do not indicate such natural toning that is normally exhibited on coins that are toned in Whitman and other types of albums.
As for research myself into how these particular coins react to mint bags made of burlap is unknown to myself and it is possible such as Morgan Silver Dollars found in mint bags that exhibit double sided bright vivid colors.

There is another large example of questionable toned Nickels that run from 1956-1964 in particlar. Bright neon colored proof coins. I have some featured on my registry if you would like to see examples of that 

On 1/27/2020 at 9:54 AM, couponschevette said:

There is another large example of questionable toned Nickels that run from 1956-1964 in particlar. Bright neon colored proof coins. I have some featured on my registry if you would like to see examples of that 

There is no question about these. We know who made them. 

RE: " As for research myself into how these particular coins react to mint bags made of burlap is unknown to myself and it is possible such as Morgan Silver Dollars found in mint bags that exhibit double sided bright vivid colors."

The U.S. Mint never used "burlap" for coin bags. Standard material was cotton duck, 7-lb or 9-lb weight.