• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1943 D Jefferson Nickel - Die Crack - Wheel Marks?
1 1

15 posts in this topic

It's been awhile since I said I would post more of the Nickels. This one I believe it would be Graded as OBVERSE WHEEL MARK again like my last submission, not to mention it would not grade as Fulls Steps. I am wondering if that line across Monticello would be a die break. I also Just noticed the die crack on Jefferson's hair. 

@CRAWTOMATIC Tell me I was able to stop the wheel mark on this one. 

20200102_201705.thumb.jpg.f910ea208dc24424e62e510719ebdbc4.jpg

Holy mackerel that reverse is a honey! The line through Monticello is a die crack, not break, as nothing has yet broken away.

Edited by VKurtB

Looks like a wheel mark to me @Dukemnm and yep, die crack on the hair and Monticello.  Those reverse fields have really nice eye appeal (to me).

Interesting combo of an obverse & reverse die pair with existing cracks.  The silver in the planchets probably allowed them to extend lifespan a little longer than usual.  But strike quality doesn't seem to be impaired to much.  Even the servant entrance steps are still looking full!  xD Any signs of die polishing on the details?  

Edited by CRAWTOMATIC
proofreading

1 hour ago, Dukemnm said:

I wonder if ANAC would give me A die crack designation without the Wheel Mark comment. What do you think @VKurtB ?

All my ANACS experience dates back to the "small slab" era some 25 years ago or so. I still know what my ANACS account number was, but that was 4 or 5 moves ago.

Here are some more pictures from different angles. Some may be a little blurry. I was also looking for FS but that Die Crack flows into the steps. 

You can also notice some doubling on Jefferson's bow on the pony tail 

20200103_203716.jpg

20200103_203728.jpg

20200103_203732.jpg

20200103_203738.jpg

20200103_203747.jpg

20200103_203749.jpg

20200103_203751.jpg

20200103_203754.jpg

Edited by Dukemnm

9 hours ago, kbbpll said:

Any chance this is die polish or planchet flaw? The lines around T in Trust appear to be raised and the T minted over them.

No, I looked really hard, they are wheel marks, :( such a beautiful coin, and My second with wheel marks. 

Nice reverse for sure. The obverse looks like 2 coins were rubbed together and scraped the lines in the coins. A rough die cleaning looks like your coin as well. it gives the coins a woodsy jook grain when toned.

Grab your first wheel mark coin that you had graded. A wheel is rubber and does not gouge a coin. It leaves a ghostly burn out like a car does on the street. When you turn the coin in the light you will see the white wheel burn on the coin.

Edited by Six Mile Rick

3 hours ago, Six Mile Rick said:

When you turn the coin in the light you will see the white wheel burn on the coin.

That's is what it looks like on both, I am using my phone and the lighting is not the best when i take the pictures. Maybe I need to get a desk lamp? 

Absolutely the finest war-time nickel I have ever seen in my entire life, so much so that -- speaking strictly for myself, I feel compelled to withhold comment on any deficit, regardless the cause, as being unnecessarily superfluous and unsportsmanlike.  [As the owner of a high quality encapsulated coin which features a partial thumbprint, I sympathize with the OP's plight entirely.]