• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Input please?

13 posts in this topic

It appears that someone has spent a proof nickel. Since it is, in my opinion, a proof coin and not a business strike, it would not qualify for the Full Steps designation, if sent in to be graded. (It is assumed that ALL proof Jeffersons would have full steps, since they were struck on a special press, with care taken to produce the fullest strike possible.)

3 hours ago, Just Bob said:

It appears that someone has spent a proof nickel. Since it is, in my opinion, a proof coin and not a business strike, it would not qualify for the Full Steps designation, if sent in to be graded. (It is assumed that ALL proof Jeffersons would have full steps, since they were struck on a special press, with care taken to produce the fullest strike possible.)

Thank u.....it's pretty shiney considering where I found it...

? for you just Bob.  I'm trying to learn something here. How did you know it is a proof coin? I know that there was no mint marks on the proofs in 1953 but  some of the BS did not have mint marks either, right. Thanks in advance, for helping an old guy learn.

28 minutes ago, Lisae228 said:

Under the five?    Sorry that's where I zoomed in the pic...

Greenstang may be referring to this but I think it might be an optical illusion.

5c_rectangle.jpg

Sorry phone is being hard headed..y'all have got some crazy eyes.....it's not a rectangle I don't think...but the steps seem to be flattened , some what slanted...I love the knowledge from this site...so much better then reading some things on google/utube...thanks again...

Screenshot_20191213-121118.png

1 hour ago, Rummy13 said:

? for you just Bob.  I'm trying to learn something here. How did you know it is a proof coin? I know that there was no mint marks on the proofs in 1953 but  some of the BS did not have mint marks either, right. Thanks in advance, for helping an old guy learn.

The polished look of the obverse, along with the sharp details.The smooth, polished field of the reverse and the slight cameo contrast of the lettering and Monticello, along with the details and full steps. A quick look at the NGC census showed only 4 1953 business strikes have been given the "5 Full Steps" designation, and there are none designated "6 Full Steps." That confirmed that a 6 Full Step business strike would be a very hard coin to stumble across, especially one that was proof-like, so adding that info to the above information, I concluded that it was a proof.

If I am right, it is now an impaired proof, and is basically spending money, or, at best, a novelty item to show to your friends. At one time, though, it was a $20-$25 coin - even raw. It makes me wonder if the former owner fell on hard times, and had to break up a proof set, or if they had their collection stolen. Either one would have been sad.

Edited by Just Bob

I could be wrong but I've heard that sometimes people buy the set but are only interested in one of the denominations, or the one that might get PR66 or whatever, so the cent or nickel ends up dumped into circulation. So don't feel bad about finding it.

4 hours ago, kbbpll said:

I could be wrong but I've heard that sometimes people buy the set but are only interested in one of the denominations, or the one that might get PR66 or whatever, so the cent or nickel ends up dumped into circulation. So don't feel bad about finding it.

I don't ....it passed.  Lol...ty