• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just an answer to my Silver or CuNi querie..
1 1

12 posts in this topic

Hi guys! Idky that original thread wouldn't allow me to respond any more, but here is the answer I finally got about those Perth Mint Isle of Man Aircraft of WWII Coins I have that many of us were discussing whether they were Silver or CuproNickel. Turns out all this time my Son had a larger capacity postage scale that didn't go into overload when a cup of water was set on it, so I was able to try, and master, the Specific Gravity Test. Oooooo...Aaaahhhhh...lol! 

And the answer to this long awaited question is....drum roll please...do it...CUPRONICKEL!!!!! And I'm not even upset about it. I am just absolutely thrilled to finally know what the heck they are. Right?! 

I even made 8 very short, equalling 9 minutes, videos of the entire process in case y'all think it would be beneficial to post them. Otherwise there's an upload of my results in this thread. 

I'm just so darn proud of myself, and if it weren't for you guys right here in this forum id have never even heard of Specific Gravity much less run the tests myself. I really feel like you all have increase my knowledge greatly and for that I thank you from the bottom of my teensy heart.

That last listed one is an old Sternwheel Regatta Token from a festival we used to have here, and I believe my results say it is indeed silver. I never dreamt it would be.

2 hours ago, kbbpll said:

I love seeing science in action. Good job. Maybe upload your videos to YouTube and post links instead.

Lol! I would have no idea how to even do that, and plus there are already a bunch on there by people much more experienced than I that put on a much better production. But it was neat to do it and see the results that were within range of what i was told they would be.

That you are, Bob. That you are.

I think my phone was just having a terrible day, for real. Nothing was working properly for a day and so far there are still a few glitches going on. But thanks for taking care of me.

A US 5-cent coin has an average density of 8.91 to 8.92 g/cm^3.

US silver coin density is 10.337.

Coin #6 would have to be nearly pure silver (10.49) to have a measured density of 10.42.