• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Binion coins

4 posts in this topic

I obtained a 10 lb original lead sealed bag of coins from the Binion Horde.

I wondered if anyone had a good procedural recommendation other than my initial thought of immediately opening the bag and releasing the mystery.

While that sounds fun I know it might be rather foolish to do that.   I know because I did it with Collector F1 cars, guns and crazy stuff back in the CEO days when I had it rolling hard.

Now I am more prudent ( cars all gone and no more shooting 1 of 100 guns for fum:()  It IS fun  but t IS stupid too.

Any sage advice - I thank you kindly in advance for the insight.  I HAVE to open them, that's just me.  But how do I do that right?

Would I just have them authenticated and graded? 

I've gotten great help here as I learn and I'm sincerely hoping for more.

I don't know what a Binion Horde is, but if I were going to open a sealed bag of potentially valuable coins, I'd get some cloth gloves and a bunch of Saflips, so that I could most efficiently get them all into protection without screwing them up. Then I'd reach in and pull out one coin at a time, give it a look, and if it deserved to be in a flip, put it there. Repeat until I had them all out. Then I'd make decisions about authentication and grading. 

Based on this coinweek article https://coinweek.com/coins/certified-coins-news/pedigrees-hoards-the-binion-hoard/ all of the hoard was purchased by one party and submitted to NGC for grading already.  How did you come across a sealed bag attributed to this hoard?  Does the provenance line up on that?

The answer is that I must read better.   It was not the Dollars.  t was almost all quarters.  Thanks for the feedback.  I posted a Type C thread question in the newbie forum.

Thanks

K