• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blank planchet

7 posts in this topic

Found what I believe to be a blank planchet. I can make out BERTY on one side of it. It looks like one half of a quarter. So my question is is it a blank planchet? And if so is it of any value or just a cool half a coin to have?

A0775544-5E81-4F02-B0AD-C6B3AA417091.jpeg

A5D33669-044A-450B-A320-5AF239BE2658.jpeg

That's very odd. It isn't round, it's reeded, and LIBERTY is too far from the rim. It's like somebody removed the other clad layers leaving the copper core, but that doesn't explain the position of LIBERTY. Hopefully someone else will chime in. I can't think of how the mint could do it accidentally or how someone else could do it intentionally.

12 hours ago, kbbpll said:

That's very odd. It isn't round, it's reeded, and LIBERTY is too far from the rim. It's like somebody removed the other clad layers leaving the copper core, but that doesn't explain the position of LIBERTY. Hopefully someone else will chime in. I can't think of how the mint could do it accidentally or how someone else could do it intentionally.

Perhaps it was pressed? Like using a hydraulic press. what is the diameter of the coin? if it was pressed, it would probably wider. probably a pressed quarter to make it into a half dollar?  Just speculating here. 

It looks like it's been railed. By what I mean, I'm thinking someone put it on a railroad track for a train to go over it. I kinda sorta remember what one looks like when a couple of kids were messing around doing that when I was in my teens. Lol just saying. ;)

It's a flattened coin.  Weight will tell you what it started as, but I suspect a dime.  Key is that it shows reeding all the way round and the the reeding is formed during the strike, which tells you that it was once round and fit INSIDE the collar.  Therefore whatever enlarged it and made it odd shaped happened AFTER it was struck so it is now just damage.