• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NON CC GSA HARD PACK VALUE?

10 posts in this topic

In 2016, an MS-63 version sold for $2475 on GreatCollections.  https://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/327187/1903-O-Morgan-Silver-Dollar-NGC-MS-63-GSA-Holder-GSA-Box

3 years ago is enough time to change prices, though.  The plus side is that it doesn't seem to be a combination that comes up very often and that one above had lots of bids.

Most recent comp would be this one sold by Heritage in 2018.  Actually uncertified but has a grade of MS62 on it.  For that it brought in $1800.  https://coins.ha.com/itm/gsa-dollars/silver-and-related-dollars-morgan-dollars/1903-o-1-gsa-hoard-ms62-uncertified-ngc-census-0-0-pcgs-population-0-0-/a/131841-23875.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

I'd estimate the coin you have would go for north of $2,000.

On 10/24/2019 at 3:40 PM, CRAWTOMATIC said:

In 2016, an MS-63 version sold for $2475 on GreatCollections.  https://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/327187/1903-O-Morgan-Silver-Dollar-NGC-MS-63-GSA-Holder-GSA-Box

3 years ago is enough time to change prices, though.  The plus side is that it doesn't seem to be a combination that comes up very often and that one above had lots of bids.

Most recent comp would be this one sold by Heritage in 2018.  Actually uncertified but has a grade of MS62 on it.  For that it brought in $1800.  https://coins.ha.com/itm/gsa-dollars/silver-and-related-dollars-morgan-dollars/1903-o-1-gsa-hoard-ms62-uncertified-ngc-census-0-0-pcgs-population-0-0-/a/131841-23875.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

I'd estimate the coin you have would go for north of $2,000.

Uh no the holder might go for that much !

On 10/27/2019 at 10:10 AM, numisport said:

Uh no the holder might go for that much !

Am I missing something or are you just going to make a statement without explanation?  Original poster said he has the coin, in the GSA Hard Pack, graded in a MS64 holder.  So that's what I researched for pricing.  Are you suggesting the coin, on it's own raw and outside of the GSA hard pack would be worth much less?  IF so, I agree. can't answer that.

But that's a different scenario than the original poster is working with.

Edited by CRAWTOMATIC
posterity

22 hours ago, CRAWTOMATIC said:

Am I missing something or are you just going to make a statement without explanation?  Original poster said he has the coin, in the GSA Hard Pack, graded in a MS64 holder.  So that's what I researched for pricing.  Are you suggesting the coin, on it's own raw and outside of the GSA hard pack would be worth much less?  IF so, I agree. can't answer that.

But that's a different scenario than the original poster is working with.

As for pricing this holder remember that ten thousand plus [other] '03-0 dollars exist at or above that grade level for less money. I understand that people collect GSA holders exclusively and agree that recent auction prices would be the most realistic value, then subtract 20 percent. 

22 minutes ago, numisport said:

As for pricing this holder remember that ten thousand plus [other] '03-0 dollars exist at or above that grade level for less money. I understand that people collect GSA holders exclusively and agree that recent auction prices would be the most realistic value, then subtract 20 percent. 

I don't think it's fair to discount the hard pack.  As there are collectors specific to that segment that's where the pricing & value should be reflected.  If somebody has the Morgan removed from the hard pack it could be notated on the certification label but that's hardly the same.  It's quite a few less certified in the hard pack so that's where the premium lies - that and it's not a CC mint dollar.  Even if MS64 is statistically the crescendo of the bell curve and most common grade.

1903-O MS64 GSA Hoard (Hard Pack) Census Numbers:

NGC:  52 total, 19 in MS64, 5 in MS65

ANACS:  0 (?) Looks like they don't have a certification holder/process for the hard pack but I'm wary of committing to that.  Nothing showing in the pop. report either.

PCGS:  3 (?)  I can't tell if they're in the hard pack or just noted on the label though.

There are 27,980 non cc Gsa  put in hard packs.

Of those dates and mintmarks there’s a basic set of 14                    

1879-p                  

1879-s      

1880-s

1881-0

1881-s

1882-s

1883-0

1883-p

1884-0

1885-0

1885-p