• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1960 n 1968 RED like new PENNIES

9 posts in this topic

If you're new I would suggest getting one of those little red boxes to store coins in.  Then get the non-vinyl flips or cardboard 2x2's that fit the box.  Put the coins you believe to be exceptional in said flip/2x2 and set it in the box as you come across them.  

1. You'll want to submit at least 10 coins for grading to be cost effective on shipping.

2.  The time it takes to accumulate the 10 coins should provide some "training" for your eye and your understanding of grading standards.  You'll eventually re-review coins you've placed in previously and wonder what you were thinking.  This is normal as you become accustomed to seeing better quality.

3. Rare coins are rare.

4. Seek the opinion of a local dealer or coin club if possible.  Have a second set of eyes on the coins you feel most confident in.

5. Consider a submission to ANACS initially as a test of your personal grading opinion.  It'll be cheaper on your wallet if you're wrong and easier to upgrade to NGC/PCGS if you're right knowing you have one official opinion already.

Yes.  Actually have a submission out to them right now.  And one at NGC.  Different expected outcomes and different classes of coins.  ANACS will attribute any variety recognized in the CONECA listings.  NGC will only recognize major varieties and a few minor varieties.  That's a business decision and I'd probably make the same call considering the volume and (lack of) importance in most of the minor varieties.  

Also, there are times where my basic conservation skills fall flat.  Over the summer I acquired a grouping of Morgans that had PVC contamination on them.  I removed as much as I could with an undisturbed acetone soak routinely rinsing with distilled water and refreshing with new acetone but after 2 months there was still some residue present.  But I had enough gone to see that the coins themselves would not grade above 63.  So in that case having ANACS try their hand at conservation ($29 for 20 coins rather than a % of "market value" per coin) would get them to the finish line and leave more money in them for resale.

Even with certain series there's still more money left in the coin by getting it slabbed by ANACS for $10 (+$2 shipping) when they're running a special.  Generally only works on scarcer issues at lower grades.  Take the Buffalo Nickel series for instance and these semi-recent sales on GreatCollections:

1924-D ANACS VF-30, Jan 2018, $60 link

1924-D NGC VF-30, Aug 2019, $72 link

Personally, I think the ANACS coin has better eye appeal.  The $12 difference in final price is eaten up by the difference in submission cost to NGC (there's an extra 60 cents in consingment fee but that's negligible).  Skipping the actual math I'd imagine it's close to a wash when it comes to calculating profit from the seller perspective.

1914-D ANACS G-6, Aug 2018, $42 link

1914-D NGC G-6, Nov 2018, $48 link

I'm not sending truly outstanding coins to ANACS for slabbing services.  I prefer the NGC holder and registry sets.  But the grading results have never been anything I've completely disagreed with either (to date; limited experience).  So if it's just a matter of getting the coin authenticated and squeezing out profit on the resale then I'm using all the tools in the workbench. 

Longwinded answer to your question of whether or not I have but either way, there's no need to rush into grading.  It can be a costly mistake if you're not familiar with grading standards which does come with experience.

THANKS ok I will. Just curious, have you had any coins graded from ANACS before??

Crawtomatic Hey how do you guys pack and send in the mail? What equipment PER SAY do you use? Thanks for all your info MUCH APPRECIATED!!!!

These Guardian Coin Supply 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 non-PVC archival double pocket flips are the ones I use.  Big enough to safely fit larger diameter coins like Ikes & Morgans w/o worry of friction rub.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25-2-5x2-5-Double-Pocket-Vinyl-Flips-PVC-FREE/291024127691?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Then it's a matter of having them all labeled & secured in order of listing on the submission form.  I believe there's a few videos on YouTube.  Maybe ask @VKurtB since he loves the Tube and all of it's top notch numismatic advice being spread about.  xD

7 hours ago, coinsandmedals said:

:roflmao:

Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, no. YouTube is an embarrassment. I almost never "send in" coins for certification. I tend to "take them in", in person, at a show.