• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1971 P Jefferson Nickel FS
1 1

23 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Dukemnm said:

Should Ibstarta new thread for the 1971 D FS question @VKurtB?

Oh, I'm the LAST person you want to ask about discussion board etiquette. I don't care about it. :roflmao:

Edited by VKurtB

17 minutes ago, KarenHolcomb said:

Sorry. Not FS. Full Steps will not have a single mark on them period. None. Nada. Zilch. 

One coin per post. 

Still a very nice coin. I like it.

I posted the other coin un Ask NGC. I think I can get 5 FS on that one. :bigsmile:

3 minutes ago, Dukemnm said:

I posted the other coin un Ask NGC. I think I can get 5 FS on that one. :bigsmile:

Cool. They are definitely out there to be had. I have several myself. It is a shame to have such a nice specimen as this and then have that ding there, but the steps are the highest point and thus first to get damage. 

6 hours ago, Six Mile Rick said:

Keep looking Duke. I find the Full Step search a fun and rewarding part of the hobby. I have very many in my set and a box full of them to submit to NGC some day. (thumbsu

Good! I've been looking for a "steps" fan. Which dates have you personally found are the toughest for nice steps?

7 hours ago, Six Mile Rick said:

Keep looking Duke. I find the Full Step search a fun and rewarding part of the hobby. I have very many in my set and a box full of them to submit to NGC some day. (thumbsu

Thank you. I have another 1971 that I asked in "Ask NGC" and if they come back telling me it is a possibility, I will send it in. That would be my second FS hopefully they say it is a 6FS but I think it is more of 5FS.  

I am still unsure how to tell how many steps. Do I count the number if lines or the actual steps? if I count the actual steps, where do I start the count from? 

~Manuel

2 hours ago, VKurtB said:

Good! I've been looking for a "steps" fan. Which dates have you personally found are the toughest for nice steps?

Those in the 60s are not very easy with a few years having 0-5 slabbed.  I haven't kept tally but it feels like there's a 10-15% success rate on most years in the 70s mint sets. 

But as much fun as the full steps hunt is you have to be careful it doesn't detract your opinion on the coins overall strike (or conversely, inflate your opinion on what is a 64 or lower coin).  The nickel in my profile shot is a 1939 (P) Reverse of '38 that graded 67 (steps were soft so no real question on that attribute).  Twas a beautiful coin and I'm glad I rescued it from a "box of nickels" a local coin shop had sitting on a shelf in the way back (for $2 even!).

4 minutes ago, CRAWTOMATIC said:

Those in the 60s are not very easy with a few years having 0-5 slabbed.  I haven't kept tally but it feels like there's a 10-15% success rate on most years in the 70s mint sets. 

But as much fun as the full steps hunt is you have to be careful it doesn't detract your opinion on the coins overall strike (or conversely, inflate your opinion on what is a 64 or lower coin).  The nickel in my profile shot is a 1939 (P) Reverse of '38 that graded 67 (steps were soft so no real question on that attribute).  Twas a beautiful coin and I'm glad I rescued it from a "box of nickels" a local coin shop had sitting on a shelf in the way back (for $2 even!).

Cool! I managed to grab at auction (local, Reading, PA, January 2011) a 1939 Reverse of '38 in MS66FS graded by some other company, PCG_ something. :devil: I metaphorically stole it. I was the only guy in the room who had an idea it was pretty special.

1 minute ago, VKurtB said:

Cool! I managed to grab at auction (local, Reading, PA, January 2011) a 1939 Reverse of '38 in MS66FS graded by some other company, PCG_ something. :devil: I metaphorically stole it. I was the only guy in the room who had an idea it was pretty special.

Don't you just love that!?  A secret for some of the newer Jefferson guys is that older NGC slabs don't always designate if it's the Reverse of '38 or Reverse of '40 for the 1939 issues.  So it's a good habit to get into of checking those steps when you come across one because for certain years (39P reverse of '38 and 39S Reverse of '40) it can be a big difference in rarity.

Do keep in mind the market CONDITIONS in January 2011 when I "picked" that 1939 nickel. Most guys at auctions were snapping up ANYTHING made of silver at really sick high prices then. If it weren't either silver or gold, most guys couldn't have cared less. That reveals one of my key strategies - collect what is NOT presently "HOT"! Then wait.

38 minutes ago, VKurtB said:

Do keep in mind the market CONDITIONS in January 2011 when I "picked" that 1939 nickel. Most guys at auctions were snapping up ANYTHING made of silver at really sick high prices then. If it weren't either silver or gold, most guys couldn't have cared less. That reveals one of my key strategies - collect what is NOT presently "HOT"! Then wait.

That's a good approach when you wait on the right thing. :grin:  I've been involved in big data analytics of some form or other for most of the career.  I love how there's so much available with mintages, sales figures, auction histories, census reports, etc...  "Survivability Ratings" is a little bit of a wild card as well as trying to determine how much of a series may have been melted for intrinsic metal value.  I know you've mentioned you've never sold but I've got more of the hunter gatherer mentality.  I got tired of collecting "things" years back after moving for the umpteenth time.  Everything is temporary, possessions are emotional responsibilities, yadda yadda yadda.  But I still enjoy the challenge of tracking down and finding items in the wild and bringing them to light for the collectors that would really enjoy them.

You might want to turn your eye to some variety hunting as much as that may kill your soul slowly.  lol  As an example, I've just recently started tracking the 1902 Liberty Nickel just to get an idea of Type 1 & Type 2 populations.  From what I've seen in online sales, show floors, and dealer shops the Type 1 is considerably less available.  I just haven't taken the next steps to see if there's been any literature written up on the production estimates yet.  Will it ever be a huge premium item?  I sincerely doubt it.  But that doesn't mean my interest isn't piqued and if there's solid numbers on condition rarity then there's room for some appreciation by the right party.

2 hours ago, Six Mile Rick said:

Here are just a few of my nickel gatherings over the years;

https://coins.www.collectors-society.com/registry/coins/SetListing.aspx?PeopleSetID=239643

ENJOY!!

Very nice collection, I should really post mine in the registry, however, I am not good at grading so i'll wait.