• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NGC Registry multiple owners of coin(s) / related questions

6 posts in this topic

Hello... I am new to collecting.. new to ANA.... and brand new to NGC...  I just started listing in the registry my Kennedy half dollars  as a "competitive set" a.k.a. DiRossi Kennedy collection in the 1964-Date, Proof issue section/area  (Currently #161 on the list!)  I started by trying to add the 45 coins I have collected over the last year to the registry but it seems that 9 of them are already registered by other members...    so it only let me add 36 coins.  I know that NGC has a method to deal with this but that seems like a very high number of disputed ownership.. is that normal? when i was entering them it said that NGC would contact the owners and let me know the results.. that was only a few days ago so i am willing be patient.. but another question - is there a way to see the progress of these "disputed coins" somewhere in the NGC web site?  Thanks all for any input or your experiences.....

Hello and welcome to the club. I had this happen to me once where 5 coins were registered to someone else. For me it was corrected in about two days but while I waited I also prepared for the worst "stolen Coins". So I prepared myself by finding all the documents on my purchases for each coin. Fortunately all my coins went through okay in a couple of days with no issue. You are probably going to hear from NGC soon but it really depends on the response time from the previous owner. In the meantime just enjoy your collection and the competitive spirit that comes with collecting.

• Administrator
15 hours ago, Ray DiRossi said:

Hello... I am new to collecting.. new to ANA.... and brand new to NGC...  I just started listing in the registry my Kennedy half dollars  as a "competitive set" a.k.a. DiRossi Kennedy collection in the 1964-Date, Proof issue section/area  (Currently #161 on the list!)  I started by trying to add the 45 coins I have collected over the last year to the registry but it seems that 9 of them are already registered by other members...    so it only let me add 36 coins.  I know that NGC has a method to deal with this but that seems like a very high number of disputed ownership.. is that normal? when i was entering them it said that NGC would contact the owners and let me know the results.. that was only a few days ago so i am willing be patient.. but another question - is there a way to see the progress of these "disputed coins" somewhere in the NGC web site?  Thanks all for any input or your experiences.....

Hello, Ray, and welcome!

There is normally a 72-hour transfer wait time when someone claims a coin to be his in the NGC Registry. Automated emails are sent to the previous owner and to the person claiming to be the new owner. After the 72-hour time period, if the previous owner does not contest ownership of the coin, the coin is automatically transferred to the new owner.  If the previous owner does contest the transfer of the coin, then we proceed from there. If you need further assistance, please let us know. We are happy to help. You may also reach us at registry@NGCcoin.com.  

Please let us know when we may assist with the NGC Registry in the future.

On 7/30/2019 at 9:26 PM, mrscott304 said:

Hello and welcome to the club. I had this happen to me once where 5 coins were registered to someone else. For me it was corrected in about two days but while I waited I also prepared for the worst "stolen Coins". So I prepared myself by finding all the documents on my purchases for each coin. Fortunately all my coins went through okay in a couple of days with no issue. You are probably going to hear from NGC soon but it really depends on the response time from the previous owner. In the meantime just enjoy your collection and the competitive spirit that comes with collecting.

I've never had the "stolen coins" issue. More often it's a case of the seller is a registry user or someone that was sold it or their inheritors sold it - maybe even years ago - and never unregistered it. Part of this is you can remove a coin from a set without unregistering it. You can have coins registered to you that aren't in any set.

If you're worried about stolen goods, use the cert look-up tool before you buy. I think NGC flags it if it's reported to them as having been stolen. Maybe someone that works there can confirm?

• Administrator
On 9/11/2019 at 7:36 PM, Revenant said:

I've never had the "stolen coins" issue. More often it's a case of the seller is a registry user or someone that was sold it or their inheritors sold it - maybe even years ago - and never unregistered it. Part of this is you can remove a coin from a set without unregistering it. You can have coins registered to you that aren't in any set.

If you're worried about stolen goods, use the cert look-up tool before you buy. I think NGC flags it if it's reported to them as having been stolen. Maybe someone that works there can confirm?

Hello, Revenant.

Thank for the inquiry. A person may call Customer Service to report the certification numbers of their NGC coins. Then they will forward the information to the appropriate staff to mark it stolen in the grading screen. Then, if someone checks "VERIFY NGC CERTIFICATION NUMBER" on NGCcoin, it will display that there is an issue with the coin.