• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1975-P Lincoln

11 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone has seen this in a coin before and if so what would have caused it.  It looks to me  as though the planchet was the cause. See how many columns there seem to be. Sent it out and came back surface smoothed. Doesn't look sooth on the contrary it looks rough. Your thoughts would be great.

IMG_20190706_151231028.jpg

IMG_20190706_151109218.jpg

Sat Jul 06 14-56-45.jpg

12 minutes ago, jgrinz said:

I would call it more 'tooled' than 'smoothed' but basically an altered coin.

Agreed.  The coin was clearly messed with by somebody for some unknown reason.  People do weird things to coins sometimes and when their "special" coin loses its novelty value, they put it back out into circulation.  Most strange looking coins you find out in circulation are damaged or altered.  True errors command premiums because you don't find them a lot.

No problem, Kevin.

We're always glad to help out around here.  Better luck next time, though.  There's still good stuff out there to be found if you're persistent.

~Tom

3 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

Does anyone have an explanation for the look of those surfaces? I can't recall ever having seen that before.

Hey Bob,

I've seen some cents with that look before, but I also do not know exactly what caused the coin to have that appearance.  I, too, am hoping that someone may be able to jump in here and give us some thoughts on what may have happened to that cent.

On 7/8/2019 at 7:07 AM, DWLange said:

It appears to have been cleaned in an ultrasonic generator, which can leave such ripple patterns.

Ultrasonic by itself wouldn't do it.  Not enough energy in any system I've had my hands on  Some sort of acid would etch the copper and the ultrasonic might set up a standing wave and then it got left for a long time?  I've got an ultrasonic cleaner if we want to test the theory.  I like the look.  It'd be fun to take some culls and make them more interesting.