• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1972 Double Die Lincoln Cent

10 posts in this topic

Looks like the FS-102 variety to me.  Which would mean you'd need a full red designation and a grade of 64 or better to make a *small* profit assuming straight to market.  65 full red is the sweet spot as a seller but IDK about that... Is it mint state or lightly circulated? Hard to say on pictures alone.  If you hit Red-Brown on that, though, it gets dicey - mint state or not.

I'm not convinced it's a double die. The 1972 DDOs I have seen had pronounced date doubling, which I do not see on this coin.

5 minutes ago, JKK said:

I'm not convinced it's a double die. The 1972 DDOs I have seen had pronounced date doubling, which I do not see on this coin.

The FS-101 and the 108 have the most pronounced doubling on the date.  The 101 being the one most often sought it seems as it's overall dramatic shift.  But with no less than 9 acknowledged varieties (by NGC, VarietyVista counts 10) Philly had some issues for sure that year.

I'm still going with 102, the "L" in Liberty is shifted south and the "2" has the doubling flare on the bottom half of the tail with a serif split at the tip.

8 minutes ago, RPL313 said:

It appears to be lightly circulated somewhat of a scratch on lincolns hair, also the doubleing is in “In God We” and “LIBE”

"TRUST" is showing a good spread as well.  That last "T" really jumped out at me when I first pulled up the post.  I was expecting another machine doubling situation.

2 minutes ago, RPL313 said:

It appears to be lightly circulated somewhat of a scratch on lincolns hair, also the doubleing is in “In God We” and “LIBE”

I do see the doubling in those places, but this is clearly one of the more minor 1972 Doubled Die varieties.  There are several, but as far as I know, only the FS-101 really brings strong prices.  I see what you mean about Lincoln's hair and if I had to grade the coin, I'd call it an AU.  There appears to be light wear on the high points, most notably to me on Lincoln's ear and on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial.  There is also spotting on the obverse which will further hurt the grade, possibly even earning a Details if the spotting is determined to be some sort of environmental damage.  I typed 1972 FS-102 into eBay and they are selling, but in MS grades and mostly for under $100 even in MS grades.  It looks like you got a good photo of it.  If I were you, I'd try to sell it raw on eBay.  I mean, you found it in a roll, so selling it raw should net you a profit but I wouldn't roll the dice on grading this one....it'll probably net you a loss if you do.

Yes i agree , its always fun to find uncommon coins in penny rolls, i will probably just hang on to it and use it as a spot filler in my book thanks!

4 minutes ago, RPL313 said:

Yes i agree , its always fun to find uncommon coins in penny rolls, i will probably just hang on to it and use it as a spot filler in my book thanks!

Sounds like a good plan ;)