• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1859 Cent Question

7 posts in this topic

I was wondering if this off center struck reverse is common or adds any value to the coin? I know the word I am looking for isn't off center but you catch my drift. Thanks for your time and consideration.

IMG_2832.JPG

IMG_2834.JPG

Hey Pete,

I'm not sure what you are referring to on the reverse.....would it be possible for you to get a more close up pic of it?  That would help a lot!

~Tom

Is rotated die the term you're looking for here?  Like you, I don't know enough about the impact on Indian Heads to give a good answer.  Buffalo Nickel's I do know suffer quite a bit from rotated dies, generally 15-40 degrees, and it doesn't add much to value.  

If I am seeing that correctly, Crawdaddy has hit on the correct term. Looks like a slightly rotated die - probably not enough to give it much of a premium, but pretty cool, though.

(Yes, I know his handle is CRAWTOMATIC. Just doing a little playing around with it. It is crayfish season here, and that is what we call them - especially the BIG ones.)

5 hours ago, Mohawk said:

Hey Pete,

I'm not sure what you are referring to on the reverse.....would it be possible for you to get a more close up pic of it?  That would help a lot!

~Tom

I meant what Crawdaddy said, rotated die. I know my pictures suck! :)

2 hours ago, BipolarBaby said:

I meant what Crawdaddy said, rotated die. I know my pictures suck! :)

Ahh.....rotated die!  Now I see what's up there.....you definitely have a minor rotated die there.  As the others have said, probably not enough of one to give the coin a big value boost, but cool nonetheless. 

15 hours ago, Just Bob said:

If I am seeing that correctly, Crawdaddy has hit on the correct term. Looks like a slightly rotated die - probably not enough to give it much of a premium, but pretty cool, though.

(Yes, I know his handle is CRAWTOMATIC. Just doing a little playing around with it. It is crayfish season here, and that is what we call them - especially the BIG ones.)

HA!  I was like, does this guy know me?  Friends have been known to call me Crawdaddy in real life so it's all good.