• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Experimental Sense"

15 posts in this topic

I have a 1943 Philadelphia cent that just came back from the assay office with a metallurgical analysis of: 

85.46% TIN (Sn)

8.57% ANTIMONY (Sb)

5.56% COPPER (Cu)

0.41% LEAD (Pb)

Does anyone know if there are any records of experimental coins that resemble this make-up? 

Ps. This combination of metals is properly known as "pewter", and it resembles a steel cent, but it does not stick to a magnet....Trying to make sense of my cent...

Edited by integrity1
Gave the wrong symbol for TIN. Changed to Sn

My copy of Judd is a ninth edition (2005), so this info may be out of date: While there are numerous off-metal and non-metal pieces listed for 1942, there are none showing for 1943. The Redbook only lists two 1943 off-metal issues - bronze and silver- both as errors. Error-ref does not list a pewter 1943 cent. NGC Variety Plus lists nothing, as well. Given all of this information, or lack thereof, until it is authenticated by a recognized third party service, I am calling it a modern counterfeit. I hope, for your sake, that I have it wrong, and you have a one-in-a-million coin.

Edited by Just Bob

Thank you for your analysis. I have owned this coin since the late sixties. I found this coin in circulated condition. I hope that 50 years ago, someone had not counterfeited a penny. The coin appears as a steel cent. I owned 8 other 1942 zinc coated steel cents. I took a magnet to all, and this coin was the only one that did not stick to the magnet. I am researching this using the 2005 Judd book, and the 2012 Burdette book and searching the auction history. Going on the assumption of authenticity, where else should I research?

Just to be clear, since your post mentioned both dates, is your coin a 1942, or 1943?

I am honestly not sure where to look. Before I posted last night, I also checked Coppercoins.com and Variety Vista, and performed a quick internet search. I came up with nothing from those three attempts also.

Roger Burdette is a member of this forum, and pops in from time to time. He is a friendly guy, and probably would not mind if you sent him a PM. He goes by RWB on here. David Lange is Research Director for NGC. You might also try PMing him, as well.

52 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

Just to be clear, since your post mentioned both dates, is your coin a 1942, or 1943?

I am honestly not sure where to look. Before I posted last night, I also checked Coppercoins.com and Variety Vista, and performed a quick internet search. I came up with nothing from those three attempts also.

Roger Burdette is a member of this forum, and pops in from time to time. He is a friendly guy, and probably would not mind if you sent him a PM. He goes by RWB on here. David Lange is Research Director for NGC. You might also try PMing him, as well.

To be clear, here is my post:

I have a 1943 Philadelphia cent that just came back from the assay office with a metallurgical analysis of: 

85.46% TIN (Sn)

8.57% ANTIMONY (Sb)

5.56% COPPER (Cu)

0.41% LEAD (Pb)

I will try reaching Burdette and Lange. I recently read "the complete guide to Lincoln cents, by David Lange, and Pattern and experimental pieces of WW2, by Roger Burdette. Though I am new to the chat portion of NGC, I have been a member of the ANA for decades and a life long collector. I REALLY appreciate your suggestion to contact these great men. I had no idea that they could be reached on this forum. Thanks a million!

Thanks. And also, thank you for directing me to Burdette. He has given me a great deal of encouragement. So far, everyone from the Metallurgist from the assay office, to my contact at the ANA and now Mr. Burdette, are encouraging me to move forward to coin grading. I will do so this week. Thanks again.  

Thank you "Just Bob!". The results are in on my 1943 P Lincoln cent: Check out NGC certification 4730897-001 

I really appreciate your advice in talking with Roger Burdette. He was and is quite helpful! It is my opinion that it looks like an experimental cent slipped into circulation, and ended up in the pocket of a 9 year old. That 9 year old is now older, and just had this coin certified by NGC. All of these 47 years, I thought the coin was a steel cent covered with zinc, until I put a magnet to it. You just never know what you have in your pocket.