• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Counterfeit holders

8 posts in this topic

I've run across what may be a counterfeit NGC holder. I've sent photos to NGC to confirm. I have many - so now I am considering re-looking at each and every one. With the upgrades in protections - it is not an easy ordeal. Has anyone really looked at all of their holders and are you confident that you know the tell tale signs for each holder design (or generation of holder)?

The different generations of holder definitely make it harder sometimes.

The fact that some people consider the old "fatty" holders more desirable for various reason can make the situation trickier. Why try to fake one of the new, harder to fake holders when you can just fake an old fatty? Especially with a classic coin that could have believably been graded 25 years ago? With that dynamic in place, being lazy might even net you more money. Given all of this I had somewhat expected the value of coins in old generation holders to take a hit over time but it hasn't happened.

What is surprising is as far as I know they HAVEN"T gone back and faked the older holders.  I haven't seen any fake holders from generations before about 2007 when the fake holders first appeared.

Very rare to see an older fake NGC holder, now on what I call sub par grading companies...yes..I have a list of these to counterfeit coin rate in them compiled from a PCGS meeting in Las Vegas I think that circulated years ago...I will look for it...then there are the authentic coins just horribly off graded in holder purposely...

I hope you find it, I'd like to see that list.  It would be interesting.  It sounds like what you are describing though is a rate of counterfeit coins seen in fourth tier genuine slabs

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 2:07 AM, Conder101 said:

What is surprising is as far as I know they HAVEN"T gone back and faked the older holders.  I haven't seen any fake holders from generations before about 2007 when the fake holders first appeared.

I'm with you on that. I haven't seen or heard of any fake old fatty holders or anything like that. As much as anything that's the point I was getting at and it has long surprised me that it hasn't seemed to have happened.

About the only thing I can think of that might explain it is that these guys making the fakes need a cert# for a genuine slab / coin so that the cer# verification / validation will work just in case. The also would need such a cert # for a coin in an older slab with one of the older, low, 9-digit cert#s because a 10-digit cert# on an old fatty holder would be a dead give-away that something is wrong for anyone paying attention.

Well since one of the major places they get certificate numbers is to cruise the Heritage archives all they have to do is harvest certificate numbers off of older slabs.  They would actually have an advantage doing that since those older slabs have no pictures in the NGC certificate verification database.

Hello All! Hope your New Year is going well! I received this today and I'm a little sceptical on this slab, as to the scratch to hologram, a couple inner scratches to slab, they are on the inside of slab! is this possibly normal? It's an old slab, also little loose and rattles a little but seals seem solid, hmmm?? I'm skeptical though do to the nature, value of coin, and rarity, coin seems to fit the grade on slab and all specs, however a second, third, fourth opinion would be great! Thank You, Capone1929

20190107_134728.jpg