• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1914 BARBER HALF DOLLAR

9 posts in this topic

Welcome to the forum. Your Barber half, while a nice coin, is not especially rare, and would not grade higher than G6, in my opinion. That would put its retail value at around $20. 

3 hours ago, Just Bob said:

That would put its retail value at around $20

There you go, it's just been appraised.  If you meant should I get it certified, No, because the cost to certify would be $25 to $40.  More than the coin itself is worth.

9 hours ago, Numismatic, A.A.S. said:

I'm curious, did you pay money for it and then ask yourself what it is worth? Or is it inherited or a gift, I'm serious because if you can tell me the story on how you got it I'd like to share what I like to do with collecting those...

I inherited it, along with 10+binders full of coins I know nothing about. 😬

If you are interested in keeping the coins and learning more about them, I would suggest purchasing a Guide Book to United States Coins,  commonly called the "Red Book." Since the values given in this book are mostly high retail,  they can be ignored,  except as a means of comparing one coin to another. That being the case,  you don't necesssrily need to purchase a new one. If you found one at a used book store that was several years old, the information on mintages, etc. would still be useful. You can also post some here, and get opinions from some pretty knowledgeable people. (And, a few VERY knowledgeable people.)

If you choose not to keep them, there are various options for selling them, such as EBay or other online sites, or you could show some of them to a local coin shop or two, and get an idea of what they might be willing to offer. There may also be coins shows near you , where you could also get opinions and offers. And, there is a marketplace forum on this site, as well. 

I would begin, though, by looking over this very informative thread on inherited collections Here. Click me.

17 hours ago, LacieFace said:

I inherited it, along with 10+binders full of coins I know nothing about. 😬

I like to take the half dollars and build a roll of them. I think they're easier to store...I also like to collect them by mint marks...."S" is popular to me. 10+ Binders...you are lucky, that's awesome!!

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 12:01 AM, Just Bob said:

Welcome to the forum. Your Barber half, while a nice coin, is not especially rare, and would not grade higher than G6, in my opinion. That would put its retail value at around $20. 

I would say that it is at least VG8, bordering on a VG10.  I can see at least 4 letters in the "LIBERTY" motto in the band. Very solid rim. Doesn't change the value very much though. 

Id like to have an album full of those.  Great looking coin!!!!!