• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1982 small date copper penny
1 1

81 posts in this topic

Holy moly!

I am seeing a bunch of common Lincoln Memorial cents and a bunch of cheap pocket scale weights that I trust as much as rope with two threads left after all the others snapped and I am supposed to rappel down a cliff with it. 

There was a "handful" of bronze planchets leftover at the Denver mint during the transition in 1982. Handful meaning five. Only two have been found. It is thought there may have only been two and if there were more they could have suffered a tragic fate of a circulating Lincoln Cent. Either lost and officially swallowed by the earth, thrown in the ocean as a wish, or damaged beyond recognition. I would be highly surprised if a third was ever found. The other thing about the weight is that it is slightly underweight of the 3.11g. The unicorn coin needs to weigh 3.06-3.08g due to the bronze. If your coin does not match what I put in the following photo (which I took off the net with a terrible camera when the discovery was made), then you ain't got nothing but a penny!

IMG_20190829_220253~2.jpg

Edited by powermad5000

If this is the same coin you posted earlier, then the answer is the same, it is a Large Date.
If it is a different coin, then how do you expect us to form an opinion when we can hardly  
make out it is even a cent, let alone the date. A closeup of the date is required.

On 8/11/2023 at 9:15 AM, Stockwiz78 said:

Dude I have the third one for sure and the world will know for sure very soon . The story behind it is an interesting one.here is the pic on the scale, tell me what you think.

16917705004053259420158281165574.jpg

There is nothing that can be said of your photo except that it is a coin on a scale, your photo does nothing to prove your claim when the details of the coin cannot be seen..

Edited by Coinbuf

Sorry about that community this is a cheap phone that I took the pic from . Included is a close up. Hopefully it will shed some light as too the details of the 82. I accept all feedback. God bless.

16917755409937315555101327308138.jpg

On 8/11/2023 at 10:46 AM, Stockwiz78 said:

SD for sure

I'm sorry but you are incorrect and have been told by everyone that you have a large date because that is what you have.    However, since you are convinced that you and you alone are correct it serves no purpose to continue this discussion.

If it is a DD, then show a closeup of where you see doubling. Can’t tell anything from that photo.  
Also if you crop your photos to the edge,  it would help enlarge them. We don’t need to look at all that background.

Edited by Greenstang

On 8/11/2023 at 3:14 PM, Greenstang said:

If it is a DD, then show a closeup of where you see doubling. Can’t tell anything from that photo.  
Also if you crop your photos to the edge,  it would help enlarge them. We don’t need to look at all that background.

You're better off just giving up as the user you are trying to educate is closed minded.