• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1982 small date copper penny
1 1

81 posts in this topic

You should really start a new post with each coin. Those latest photos have nothing to do with a 1982 cent.

Also what is your question on the latest post?

Edited by Greenstang

sorry, I will do that the next time. Sorry for being such a newbie.  

but to answer your question. I was wondering if that is a DDO 1987. 

and for the 1985 penny, is that a double punched ? 

I am still learning but I do not know anyone that will tell me if I am right or wrong. 

Thank you!

1 hour ago, JustinRBS said:

this is a 1982 penny small date bronze 3.1gm weight.. Why does it says its 800 value for a ms67? The auction price was almost 10k?

https://www.pcgs.com/auctionprices/item/1982-1c-bronze-small-date-rd/146020/-2347484583698443247

this is the link where i found the information.

NGC population is 16 in MS67, with none graded higher. PCGS population is 30 in MS67, 7 in MS67+, and 2 in MS68. My guess is that at the time of the auction, Feb., 2014, this MS67+ was the highest graded example, and at least two people wanted it very badly for their registry set. Unfortunately for the owner, when it came time to sell, the price had dropped substantially. That same $9,988 coin sold for $646 on Jan. 4, 2017.

The $800 price is much too high, also. An MS67 should be closer to $300 - $400, and an MS67+ about $500 - $600. (and, honestly, I think those prices are way too high, too, but if a buyer wants a coin badly, it is worth whatever they are willing to pay.)

1 hour ago, Blesscoin said:

Can someone tell me if these are small dates for the 1982 d copper penny thanks in advance

20210218_170456.jpg

20210218_170559.jpg

Both of those coins are large date varieties.

I recently got into coins and sorting through them. My grandpa passed and he was a coin enthusiast. He saved all of his change throughout his life. Does this penny look like a 1982 D small date copper penny. I just bought a gram scale that's coming in the mail later today. 

IMG_5588.PNG

10 minutes ago, Lauren! said:

I recently got into coins and sorting through them. My grandpa passed and he was a coin enthusiast. He saved all of his change throughout his life. Does this penny look like a 1982 D small date copper penny. I just bought a gram scale that's coming in the mail later today. 

IMG_5588.PNG

Looks like a zinc small date. Let us know what it weighs once you get you scale. My money is on the scale reading 2.5 grams 

Large Date and don't hold a coin in your hands. If that was a valuable coin, fingerprints would greatly devaluate it.

Also you only have to post once, someone will get back to you when they have time.

1 hour ago, Greenstang said:

Large Date and don't hold a coin in your hands. If that was a valuable coin, fingerprints would greatly devaluate it.

Also you only have to post once, someone will get back to you when they have time.

Sorry, I promise I wasn’t being impatient.  I thought it was prompting me to caption each picture, but in reality I just kept posting looking like an impatient child😂. And noted, don’t touch coins or at least don’t photograph self touching coins.

4 hours ago, Socalheather said:

... or at least don’t photograph self touching coins.

:signfunny:

Welcome to the forum.

As noted, all three of your coins are large date varieties. Here is a picture that I "borrowed" from one of the other members here, that will show you a comparison of the large and small dates. The easiest differences to see are the shape of the "8" and "2," and the distance from the base of the "2" to the rim.

1982SD-LDb.jpg

On 11/29/2018 at 4:23 PM, kramden said:

Hi. Jim here, the rookie. Now I'm confused. I found a 1982 d small date copper penny weighing 3.1. Why was I told from pic that it's low value. These I thot were big money. At least that's the hype. Someone plz explain. I'm bummedIMG_20181124_103005939.thumb.jpg.6dfd2c781d5ccb60841a99da98feef40.jpg

Well me too I am trying to find out why only the Denver minted copper bronze is so  valuable compared to other minted pennys 

On 8/15/2022 at 2:57 PM, Matts9iron said:

Well me too I am trying to find out why only the Denver minted copper bronze is so  valuable compared to other minted pennys 

Because the Denver mint was not supposed to make any copper cents in 1982 only zinc cents.   The two that have been found were likely just a couple of planchets from 1981 that got accidentally mixed in with the zinc planchets.   While it is possible that there could be a few others floating around, you have a better chance of winning the lottery while arm wrestling an alligator than you do finding one searching your change or rolls.   There are lots of youtube vids that make lots of money because there are tons of suckers who believe the get rich quick hype.   The truth is that the guys with the vids are the one's getting rich off all those suckers clicking on their vids.

No need to post in multiple old threads. As I said in your other post, let's see some close up focused pics and XRF data.  Without authentication from a TPG, your coin is worth 1 cent, regardless of how many times you post on a coin forum.  Or, just send it to NGC

On 8/10/2023 at 10:36 AM, Stockwiz78 said:

I have the third 82 sd copper ever found. How much do you guys think it's worth

16916780581259077917625900079554.jpg

Can u get a better picture? Looks like a large date to me but the picture is to blurry to tell for sure or not. 

Edited by Hoghead515