• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

11. 6 gram Kennedy half dollar

12 posts in this topic

1964: 12.5 grams

1965- 1970: 11.5 grams

1971 to date: 11.34 grams

Bicentennials.were 11.5 and 11.34 for silver clad  and copper-nickel clad, respectively. 

9 minutes ago, Just Bob said:

1964: 12.5 grams

1965- 1970: 11.5 grams

1971 to date: 11.34 grams

Bicentennials.were 11.5 and 11.34 for silver clad  and copper-nickel clad, respectively. 

All of my Bicentennial coins are weighing 11.1 or 11.2 and my special mint coins from 65 to 68 are weighing in at 11.6 or greater my 11.7 gram 1968 on the scale right now weighs 11.7 really tricky stuff I got my hands into doing a lot of studying you’ve been a big help Bob. My bicentennial coins are weighing 11.1 or 11.2 and my special mint set coins from 65 to 68 are weighing in at 11.6 or greater my 11.7 gram 1968 kennedy is on the scale right now weighs 11.7 really tricky stuff I got my hands into doing a lot of studying you’ve been a big help Bob

A 1964 at over 13 grams would be out of tolerance.  Spec was 12.5 grams +/- .259 grams so the maximum legal weight would be 12.759 grams.

The 40% silver halves (1965 - 79) were 11.5 +/- .4 grams so yours are within tolerance.

The copper nickel clad are 11.34 grams +/- .454 grams  so legal tolerance range would be 10.89 grams to 11.79 grams.  Your Bicentennials are within tolerance.

23 minutes ago, Conder101 said:

A 1964 at over 13 grams would be out of tolerance.  Spec was 12.5 grams +/- .259 grams so the maximum legal weight would be 12.759 grams.

The 40% silver halves (1965 - 79) were 11.5 +/- .4 grams so yours are within tolerance.

The copper nickel clad are 11.34 grams +/- .454 grams  so legal tolerance range would be 10.89 grams to 11.79 grams.  Your Bicentennials are within tolerance.

Awesome thanks man I’m a true collector not out for the money. But sometimes to figure things out you gotta do it the crappy way if you know what I mean. I hate spending money getting things Unnecessarily graded when I can ask someone on here and knows what they’re doing

2 hours ago, Conder101 said:

The 38 D nickel is a very nice coin and also a better date/mint combination as well sp take good care of it. (If no one has told you yet DON'T clean your coins.) Unfortunately the images are not good enough for grading purposes, and I've reached the point where I don't bother grading coins anymore.  I answered the question about the half on another thread.

On 10/6/2018 at 2:20 AM, Conder101 said:

The copper nickel clad are 11.34 grams +/- .454 grams  so legal tolerance range would be 10.89 grams to 11.79 grams.  Your Bicentennials are Iwithin tolerance.

I'm new here, and I have a 1967 Kennedy half weighing 11.945.Out of tolerance? 

Depending on weight scales a lot cheap weight scales can be bought on Amazon (they are okay) but not real accurate but they narrow a coin down within mint tolerances …. OP stated he used 3 different weight scales to determine the weight they were all showing the same results …. my question is , did you use the same weight to “calibrate” all three scales ? If so each scale should of been weight calibrated with its own weight before you set it to Zero …. The problem with these cheaper scales is the little weights they make to calibrate the scale before you use it the weights are not “accurately” made correctly what you can expect from China made scale … a good precision weight scale cost a few hundred dollars not really worth for checking a few coins every year but they are pretty darn accurate 

when some collectors ask about coin’s weight on here I believe a lot of it has to do with the way they calibrated their scale before they weighed the coin 

Edited by Jason Abshier

It sounds as if your scale is going out of calibration. I would try to perform a reset of the calibration on the scale and try weighing the coins again. I am not sure what scale you are using but I do know a lot of people on here who post about weights and issues with weights are using a cheap Chinese pocket scale and those are infamously terrible for accuracy.

On 6/19/2023 at 3:38 AM, JD59 said:

... 1967 Kennedy half weighing 11.945

Either out of spec, or the more likely scenario is that your scale is off.  See the attached mint specs for half dollars with tolerances (the 1967 50C s/b 11.10g to 11.90g), but your scale likely needs to be recalibrated or replaced.

On 6/19/2023 at 11:10 PM, powermad5000 said:

... issues with weights ... using a cheap Chinese pocket scale and those are infamously terrible for accuracy

Agree about the really cheap pocket scales.  You can buy two of them and throw them both out, or for about the same money as two of the cheap ones get a decent scale accurate to 0.001g that comes with multiple calibration weights, like the attached Smart Weight digital precision scale.

US Mint Coin Specifications From ANA - Half Dollar.jpg

Tools - Smart Weight 0,001g Scale $40.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO