• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need help with "holding" coins

8 posts in this topic

Hi all. I need some help. At 72, I have been bit by the coin bug! (he was slow getting to me)

Age and several injuries have left me with a left arm that barely works, and shakes like a leaf in a hurricane! VERY hard to examine a coin for RPMs or such (my interest) when you have to "chase" your coin around! Bad enough without trying to use a magnifier too!  Is there anything that I could use to "hold" the coin, or keep it in one STEADY place, so I can light it up and actually look at it rather than watch it shake?

Also, what is the best way to seriously look at errors, RPMs, and such? USB Microscope? Any suggested?

Thanks so much.

Paul Andreasen

Lompoc, CA

Born in MAINE, living in Exile!

I vote for a coin microscope. That way the subject does not depend upon your arm to remain steady. Another possibility is a magnifier lamp that you can move into position to lay the coin on some surface (a soft-surfaced platform, maybe) and zoom in not quite so much as a microscope allows. The nice thing about both is that the only thing you need to keep steady is your head. Much easier.

That will work if I can keep my head from "Bobbeling" too! LOL If I get any worse my daughter is going to put me in her car's back window!

Any suggestions on which microscope? I bought one a year ago for something else, and it is . You have to focus it while trying to hold it still on a vERY flimsy stand, which of course "old shaky" can't do!

The one I have looks a lot like this. In hindsight, I wish I'd gotten one with some sort of ability to attach a camera and connect to my machine via USB, but mine works very well for my coin examination purposes. Most of the focusing is just turning a knob. The coin sits where it sits, I look through the eyepieces, and then adjust the focus (and in many cases move the coin where it needs to be, as this sucker can blow up a mint mark pretty large). Since you don't have to touch the scope except where your eyes fit the eyepiece cushions (I recognize that could be an issue), and with one hand on the focus knob, it should be harder for your steadiness issues to play in. The one I linked you to is pretty heavy and isn't flimsy at all.

Another way, if you have an average digital camera that will focus on a coin is to take pics of them and look at them on the computer. You can usually enlarge them on the computer good enough to see what you are looking for. Maybe even a cheap copy stand to mount the camera, then you can set the timer to take the pic and alleviate any movement while it takes the shot.  

Thanks for all the great advice. I finally figured out how "old Shaky can hold coins to look at!

I bent a pice of aluminum bar to shape, then cut rings off the end of a PVC plumbing part, then made one of the rings into a half ring "holder" and added some craft peel and stick felt for the coin to rest on. Right height and it just sits on the desk. I used a small steel bar foam taped to the bottom leg to hold it down.  WORKS great. but wanted to share so if anyone else could use it. Even if I didn't shake, it makes it so much less tiring. Just direct a ligh from the top or sides, and there ya go!

Sorry the pics are not so good. between the tinay size you are allowed to upload and my camera shake (Even CANON can't overcome THAT), they are all I could do.

IMG_2900.JPG

IMG_2902.JPG

IMG_2903.JPG

IMG_2904.JPG

IMG_2906.JPG

IMG_2908.JPG

IMG_2909.JPG

IMG_2910.JPG

IMG_2912.JPG

IMG_2913.JPG

IMG_2914.JPG

Thanks! Got an LED light at a thrift store for $1.45 that is just tall enough to bend over and shine great light on it from the side. Gives great shadows and relief.

Whole thing took a half hour once I figured it out.

Holder & Light.jpg