• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NGC Certifies the King of Mint Errors

17 posts in this topic

I once thought I found a 1943 copper. It turns out it was a steel coin plated with copper. I don't

know what happened wit it, I sure wish I still had it.  I wonder why we don't see more like that?

I have found two 1974 pennies with the bust of JFK above the date, and a 1976 pennie with

the Liberty Bell and the outline of the continental United States.  Anybody else see examples

like those? 

2 hours ago, GWBram said:

I once thought I found a 1943 copper. It turns out it was a steel coin plated with copper. I don't

know what happened wit it, I sure wish I still had it.  I wonder why we don't see more like that?

I have found two 1974 pennies with the bust of JFK above the date, and a 1976 pennie with

the Liberty Bell and the outline of the continental United States.  Anybody else see examples

like those? 

Welcome to the forum. The cents you mentioned were altered outside the mint, post-production and are not errors.

51 minutes ago, MarkFeld said:

Welcome to the forum. The cents you mentioned were altered outside the mint, post-production and are not errors.

As far back as I can remember, I have been on the 'contrarian' side of thought concerning the 1943 bronze cent "King of Mint Errors". I remain so, and have never read anything that persuades me to change my position.

40 minutes ago, Mr.Mcknowitall said:

As far back as I can remember, I have been on the 'contrarian' side of thought concerning the 1943 bronze cent "King of Mint Errors". I remain so, and have never read anything that persuades me to change my position.

John, what coin or coins do you think deserve the title "King of Mint Errors"?

Thanks

Some King: even I have a ‘43 copper; never gave it a second thought until perhaps now. The weirder find was a Lincoln monument cent ca. early 70’s imprinted on a dime-size copper planchet. My recollection was that it had been found in a repacked roll of dimes being searched for the odd silver piece; the strike was light. 

1 hour ago, KZNewman said:

Some King: even I have a ‘43 copper; never gave it a second thought until perhaps now. The weirder find was a Lincoln monument cent ca. early 70’s imprinted on a dime-size copper planchet. My recollection was that it had been found in a repacked roll of dimes being searched for the odd silver piece; the strike was light. 

Many thousands of people who were certain they had 1943 copper cents, turned out to be mistaken.

Considering the Lincoln cent's popularity as a series and the scarcity of copper 43's, it could certainly be considered King. There are rarer and more spectacular errors, but most non-error collectors couldn't name a specific one. The cent being auctioned is well up there in numismatic history. 

16 hours ago, MarkFeld said:

John, what coin or coins do you think deserve the title "King of Mint Errors"?

Thanks

Good Morning, Mark. My choice of words might have caused a logical interpretation that I concur that bronze cents (all Mints) are "errors". 

I do not. I am not aware of any definitive proof that clandestine and/or purposeful human intent was not the cause of the bronze cents (and many other "errors").

Concerning your question, is the deserving title to be awarded based on public/collector popularity, or market value, or collector desire (different from popularity), or quantity?

For rarity based on quantity, my choice would be the 1866 no motto quarter, half, and dollar, not listed in the mint reports and not intended for circulation.

That the pieces escaped the Mint, and were even made, is indeed an error, in my opinion.

As to public/collector popularity, it is a 3-way tie between the 37D  3-Legged Indian Head Nickel and the 1909S, V.D.B. or 1955 Double Die Lincoln Wheat Ears Reverse Small Cent.

As to collector desire, and based only on my experience at various Shows over the years, and general conversation with many different types and personalities of collectors and Dealers, my opinion would be the 37-D 3-Legged Indian Head Nickel.

For market value, I would not know where to begin. I would think this would be based strictly on selling price, and since this is subject to any given day....and based only on that criteria....it would be the highest selling price for an error. But (there is always a "but"), I personally eliminate any piece that is questionable as to whether the piece was created due to clandestine and/or human intent, which is a problem with so many so-called errors/misstrikes, etc.

29 minutes ago, Mr.Mcknowitall said:

Good Morning, Mark. My choice of words might have caused a logical interpretation that I concur that bronze cents (all Mints) are "errors". 

I do not. I am not aware of any definitive proof that clandestine and/or purposeful human intent was not the cause of the bronze cents (and many other "errors").

Concerning your question, is the deserving title to be awarded based on public/collector popularity, or market value, or collector desire (different from popularity), or quantity?

For rarity based on quantity, my choice would be the 1866 no motto quarter, half, and dollar, not listed in the mint reports and not intended for circulation.

That the pieces escaped the Mint, and were even made, is indeed an error, in my opinion.

As to public/collector popularity, it is a 3-way tie between the 37D  3-Legged Indian Head Nickel and the 1909S, V.D.B. or 1955 Double Die Lincoln Wheat Ears Reverse Small Cent.

As to collector desire, and based only on my experience at various Shows over the years, and general conversation with many different types and personalities of collectors and Dealers, my opinion would be the 37-D 3-Legged Indian Head Nickel.

For market value, I would not know where to begin. I would think this would be based strictly on selling price, and since this is subject to any given day....and based only on that criteria....it would be the highest selling price for an error. But (there is always a "but"), I personally eliminate any piece that is questionable as to whether the piece was created due to clandestine and/or human intent, which is a problem with so many so-called errors/misstrikes, etc.

Thank you, John. The deserving title is to be awarded upon whatever basis you choose. My personal favorite is the 1955 DDO, simply for its highly conspicuous doubling and overall appearance.

18 hours ago, KZNewman said:

Is it graded? Would love to see pics of it!! 

My vote for KIng would be for a coin that is not only popular and well-known but scarce or rare as well.  About 15,600 3-legs have been graded by NGC and PCGS. About 8,500 55 DDO's. A total of 27 bronze 43's. 

Edited by LINCOLNMAN
typo

Glad it is in an "NGC."

Makes me want to drive over to Philly, just to see it.

Knew about it as a kid.  Any kid who ever bought a comic book in the '60s knew about it.

There was always a page in a comic book that was a full page advertisement from a certain coin collecting company (forget who; Lincoln?), luring you to collect coins.

This Heritage Auction will make headlines in MSM.

On 8/14/2018 at 7:12 PM, LINCOLNMAN said:

Considering the Lincoln cent's popularity as a series and the scarcity of copper 43's, it could certainly be considered King. There are rarer and more spectacular errors, but most non-error collectors couldn't name a specific one. The cent being auctioned is well up there in numismatic history. 

The case for the 1943 is also helped by the fact that it's not a mangled scrap of garbage, like many Mint Errors. I suspect its popularity also stems from the (old) possibility of finding one in circulation, and from its connection to WWII.

Among the millions of wheaties that are sitting in fruit jars and sock drawers I would wager that there are still a few out there. If the subject coin gets enough publicity we might see one or two turn up. 

2 hours ago, coinman1794 said:

The case for the 1943 is also helped by the fact that it's not a mangled scrap of garbage, like many Mint Errors. I suspect its popularity also stems from the (old) possibility of finding one in circulation, and from its connection to WWII.