• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is going on with this 1977 Washington quarter 5.4 grams?

18 posts in this topic

I received this u.s.1977 Washington quarter in my change. The quarter only weighs 5.4 grams way off the 5.67 grams that it should be! It appears very similar to an early 1887 V nickel I have and a couple V nickels I have in my collection that I believe could possibly be counterfeit as they are spot on way over or under weight as well! They are similar in color and appearance as this 1977 quarter, even with damage, corrosion, or other environmental issues I believe should weigh within  a much different tolerance. The quarter seems it should weigh more with the added corrosion because it is not worn down and has detail still. In any case can someone please give input as to what is going on here? I am stumped! Thank you, Capone1929

IMG_20180701_090356.jpg

IMG_20180701_090314.jpg

2 hours ago, Capone1929 said:

I received this u.s.1977 Washington quarter in my change. The quarter only weighs 5.4 grams way off the 5.67 grams that it should be! It appears very similar to an early 1887 V nickel I have and a couple V nickels I have in my collection that I believe could possibly be counterfeit as they are spot on way over or under weight as well! They are similar in color and appearance as this 1977 quarter, even with damage, corrosion, or other environmental issues I believe should weigh within  a much different tolerance. The quarter seems it should weigh more with the added corrosion because it is not worn down and has detail still. Just ugly coins? In tolerance? Error? Counterfeits? In any case can someone please give input as to what is going on here? I am stumped! Thank you, Capone1929

IMG_20180701_090356.jpg

IMG_20180701_090314.jpg

IMG_20180701_091145.jpg

To be clear the quarter I received today and the "1887" V Nickel I have had for the better part of a decade both came exactly like this from two different times two different parts of the U.S.! These were not purchased either! Found! Basic question is even if and or with environment damage, the layer underneath corrosion, is relatively rather nice! Wouldn't that add weight and not decrease the weight, The 1977 being the 5.4g quarter is what I am referring to why so underweight? I have found through research a variety, of a 77' on a 47' planchet but it's silver and weighs more do to density of silver, however you are looking at a 1977 .25 and a 1887 V nickel .05 that are 90 years apart as well! I'm confused here or is it still in tollerance? Thanks? Capone929IMG_20180701_091128.jpg

Edited by Capone1929
More info

Well, Capone, I'm not 100% completely sure what's going on with your quarter but it is heavily corroded.  My guess would be that it lost some metal in the course of its decay, which is why the coin is underweight.  But this is just a theory.

On 7/1/2018 at 9:43 PM, Mohawk said:

Well, Capone, I'm not 100% completely sure what's going on with your quarter but it is heavily corroded.  My guess would be that it lost some metal in the course of its decay, which is why the coin is underweight.  But this is just a theory.

On 7/1/2018 at 9:43 PM, Mohawk said:

I was thinking that as well as possibility so that just reinforces my belief in that being the culprit, Thanks for the reply, Capone1929

Consider this: it is easier for corrosion to wear off a coin in circulation than for metal to wear off, at least in most cases. So if some of the coin's surface metal reacted with the environment to produce a softer material, and that material wore off somewhat, it could indeed result in a net loss of weight. From the photographs, the corrosion seems to have advanced to what we'd call pitting, so that would mean extensive reaction.

On 7/1/2018 at 11:41 AM, Capone1929 said:

I received this u.s.1977 Washington quarter in my change. The quarter only weighs 5.4 grams way off the 5.67 grams that it should be! It appears very similar to an early 1887 V nickel I have and a couple V nickels I have in my collection that I believe could possibly be counterfeit as they are spot on way over or under weight as well! They are similar in color and appearance as this 1977 quarter, even with damage, corrosion, or other environmental issues I believe should weigh within  a much different tolerance. The quarter seems it should weigh more with the added corrosion because it is not worn down and has detail still. In any case can someone please give input as to what is going on here? I am stumped! Thank you, Capone1929

IMG_20180701_090356.jpg

IMG_20180701_090314.jpg

On 7/8/2018 at 4:08 AM, Capone1929 said:

16147264780559205807565642089793.jpg

18 minutes ago, Algin said:

Can you please tell me something about this coin

Not a quarter collector but I believe the weight for a 1977-D is supposed to be 5.67g with a tolerance of +/- .227g, considering the wear, you are well within tolerance. 

7 minutes ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

I wouldn't,

I don't believe it's an error or valuable if that's what you're driving at.

So what's wrong with the 5.4

7 minutes ago, Algin said:

So what's wrong with the 5.4

It's damaged/corroded

5.40g is .27g below the expected weight of 5.67g and outside the acceptable tolerance of .227g. This was most likely due to the advanced corrosion as mentioned by others.

2 hours ago, Fenntucky Mike said:

It's damaged/corroded

5.40g is .27g below the expected weight of 5.67g and outside the acceptable tolerance of .227g. This was most likely due to the advanced corrosion as mentioned by others.

The good condition one is mine and there's nun of that wrong with this one and it's 5.4

3 hours ago, Algin said:

16147264780559205807565642089793.jpg

Algin,

if you have a question about your coin you should start a new thread. This has confused the responses you are getting. 

@Algin your quarter is within tolerances for a quarter of that date, there is nothing wrong with it and is not an error nor does it have any value over the face value of $.25.   Your scale shows 5.48 a Washington quarter should weigh 5.67g with a tolerance of +- .227g.   5.67 - .227 = 5.443g for the min weight, yours is 5.48g just above the minimum weight, the lighter than spec weight (but within tolerance) is due to the wear it has seen during its time in commerce. 

Please in the future start your own thread as it gets confusing when multiple coins are posted to the same thread.