• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC Registry Sets

4 posts in this topic

I have a quick question that someone on another board I frequent posed.

PCGS does not allow NGC coins in their registry sets.  Recently, NGC made that same decision, to not allow PCGS graded coins in their registry sets.  The one caveat to the NGC rule, however, is that they grandfathered in any PCGS coins that were already in sets.

So my question is this.  You call these "competitive" registry sets.  You even award certificates.  Yet I have to compete against sets that have PCGS coins in them.  But I am not allowed to use PCGS coins.  Why can't you allow the grandfathered PCGS coins into sets, but give them zero points?  People can still have their full sets visible, but it levels the playing field so that only NGC coins are used for scoring.  

• Administrator

Thank you for the feedback, Morpheus1967.

The decision to no longer include PCGS coins in the NGC Registry was not made lightly. After much consideration, NGC Chairman, Mark Salzberg, made his announcement in fall of 2016. You may read his announcement here: https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/5627/NGC-Registry/

There was a window where NGC Registry collectors knew of the upcoming change and could still enter PCGS coins into the NGC Registry until January of 2017. The programming change went into effect in January of 2017.

We realize that many collectors invested time, money, and effort to fill their NGC Registry sets with the best coins they had, whether they were in an NGC holder or a PCGS holder. This is why we grandfathered in existing PCGS coins. Also, we do still offer NGC-Only annual awards, to recognize collectors who do focus their collections on NGC coins.

We have no plans at this point in time to change the current scoring system, but we will forward your comments to the senior team for their consideration. Thank you, and please let us know when we may assist with the NGC Registry in the future.

Oh, I am not questioning your decision at all.  I happen to think it is a good one.  Just hard to compete for a top registry set when I am competing against someone with 50% PCGS coins.  And especially odd since PCGS does not reciprocate at all, and no NGC coins are allowed, period.  Also have no issue with PCGS coins being entered.  Just don't think they should have points.  Seems strange you assign points to another companies grading system.  Thank you.