• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1888 liberty dollar with hole?!?!?

7 posts in this topic

Yes, it's difficult to tell from your photo, but this dollar does have a bad look. It appears grainy and the luster appears un-natural.

Morgan dollars (so called after the designer) are the most common US Silver Dollar. 1888 is one of the common years, UNLESS it was minted in San Francisco (look on the reverse for an S at the bottom).

IF it's genuine (and I don't like the looks of it either), common and holed, it's worth the silver content, about 3/4 of an ounce. The 1888S is worth something, but with the hole it won't be a lot.

I read somewhere that in the old days people would hole a silver dollar and suspend it on a ribbon that would be put around an older baby's neck so the baby could chew on it while teething.  Not sure how true it is but you sure see a lot of holed silver dollars.  This practice sounds dangerous but in the old days they did a lot of things that would be considered unacceptable in modern times.

I had an Uncle who had a watch fob made out of his birth year, 1888 but the hole was done by a jeweler with a nice chain. The silver dollar was a perfect fit for a vest pocket.