• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Orange splottness question

5 posts in this topic

From my previous post I learned that orange splotyness is a tale tell indicator of a coin being dipped and retoned.  My question is 2 parts.  Is the reason you tend to see this orange splotyness is it gets trapped against the resesses of say the rims edge or on an edge of the coins design? And how can you tell the difference in  orange from naturally toned, vs dipped retoned orange. I did try to do a search before I posted this, but couldn't find any real answers. Just for my own knowledge I found a random coin on the internet. You can see the orange splotyness around the design and rim. Is this a good example of dipped and retoned orange. ? Thanks. 

102-55004-O.jpg

102-55004-R.jpg

Sometimes, it can be very difficult to tell the difference between natural tone and re-tone. 

However, natural tone tends to be more uniform, colorful and vibrant with good underlying luster. 

Many of the available coins of this era have 'thumbed' or altered surfaces. Closer look under low magnification can reveal hairlines caused by intentional rub to hide distractions. Be careful of that orange gold coating that floats. If it grades clean uncirculated 60+ ...... well they used to call that the real thing

While your coin does lend the appearance of having been re-toned after a dip or other cleaning, it is not possible to say that it was definitely "dipped." But assuming it was, a dipped coin can start to discolor in and around recessed areas if the coin was not properly rinsed and neutralized. This can sometimes be the origin of spotty toning. Of course, one must also consider that a dipped coin is showing fresh metal that is highly susceptible to oxidation and toning, and also that many coin holders expose the rims to air and sulfur before the centers. This can cause a dipped coin, or any coin really, to tone at the rims prior to other places.

Also note that yellow and orange are the first colors to develop as toning begins on a coin.