• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1916 matte proof Lincoln head cent - opinions?

15 posts in this topic

Hers is a 1916 slabbed matte proof Lincoln head cent that I had in a thread across the street years ago where we discussed whether or not this coin was a matte proof.  At that time most Lincoln head matte proof experts agreed that this coin was

not a proof.  When compared with other slabbed matte proof cents of the same year, this one does not seem to hold up.  I would like to hear opinions of matte proof collectors and experts here.    The pictures are pretty good.  And I know there is nothing like having the coin actually in hand but.......  With all the controversy floating around about the 1909 vdb that was mislabeled a matte proof across the street I thought this would be of interest to many at this time.

Lets give it a try.

lf.jpg

lf2.jpg

To WoodenJefferson:

I just checked the cert number  957302-005  in the ngc lookup cert database and it is there;

was sold for $4887 by Heritage galleries on 1-4-2007,  grade is pr66rb.

Try again here and you should find it, pictures of both sides of the slab are available in the Heritage website. 

7 hours ago, Conder101 said:

And which you are not going to see in that older NGC holder.  Frankly I don't like the rims, they seem to rounded to me.

That is my first reaction as well. 

2 hours ago, WoodenJefferson said:

However, I am only going from sub-par photos. NGC's experts and Heritage's experts examined the coin in hand, and I'll trust their opinion over some crappy photos. 

At Heritage, you can blow the pictures up and the inside rim edge looks much better. There are also some die polish lines through the 9 and 1 like it should be as well as BER.

From the photo - and they can be misleading - I would not buy it as a matte proof. I don;t like the rims, junction of the field or detail.

I would not buy this coin as a Matte Proof despite what says on the holder. I have two Matte Proof cents in my collection, a 1909 Plain and a 1913, and both of them have wider, sharper rims and a better defined bust of Lincoln that this piece.

1909 Matte Proof Cent O.jpg