• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wrong planchet error offered

15 posts in this topic

Does anyone believe that in this day and age at the U.S. Mint a wrong planchet 50.00 gold is legitimate. Heritage offering of 2014 Gold Eagle struck on 1 oz. Buffalo planchet leaves some question who did this. Secret Service may want to investigate the wrong doing now before somebody spends 100k to later have to give it up.

Seems mighty fishy to me. But a lot of the so-called "stunning errors" had to have had assistance. That doesn't just happen.

I can certainly think of a lot of things I'd rather spend $50k - $100k on.

The piece we are discussing is here, for those who didn't see it: https://coins.ha.com/itm/errors/2014-50-one-ounce-gold-eagle-struck-on-a-9999-fine-one-ounce-american-buffalo-planchet-ms69-pcgs/a/1251-6174.s?ctrack=533978&type=collectora-1-coin--news--tem010317

Seems mighty fishy to me. But a lot of the so-called "stunning errors" had to have had assistance. That doesn't just happen.

I can certainly think of a lot of things I'd rather spend $50k - $100k on.

The piece we are discussing is here, for those who didn't see it: https://coins.ha.com/itm/errors/2014-50-one-ounce-gold-eagle-struck-on-a-9999-fine-one-ounce-american-buffalo-planchet-ms69-pcgs/a/1251-6174.s?ctrack=533978&type=collectora-1-coin--news--tem010317

I'd rather buy a Lexus or use the money as a down payment on an investment/rental property.

Secret Service will not chase this coin as it was issued by the US Mint as bullion, which indeed it is.

I want to know how did the grading service authenticate this wrong plan struck bullion coin, by weight?

Edit: or better yet, was the grading service informed before hand by someone who knew this coin was struck on the wrong plan?

That thing is not a turn-on for me, at all.....

Now, strike one on an Ike dollar planchet.......

That can be arranged, for a fee. It may be easier to get it on a silver eagle planchet, since Ike's aren't made anymore. But if you supply the blank planchet, I'm sure you and an enterprising mint employee can come to some arrangement!

Woody - in the auction description, it mentions that both the weight and the thickness of these two bullion rounds are different.

I read it after I wrote it, got ahead of myself so I posed another question in the edit.

Woody - in the auction description, it mentions that both the weight and the thickness of these two bullion rounds are different.

I read it after I wrote it, got ahead of myself so I posed another question in the edit.

There is some additional information in the weekly email Heritage sends out, which I'm kinda surprised didn't make it into the official auction. I would assume, based on the quote below, that they would have submitted it as an error. I'm equally surprised that NGC didn't list it as such..... seems like NGC dropped the ball on this one:

Though the Gold Eagle and American Buffalo $50 coins have the same 32.7-milimeter diameter, they differ in thickness and weight. Due to the American Buffalo's finer composition, it is thicker and lighter.

The coin is graded MS69 by PCGS and is the only confirmed example of the error. One other is thought to exist, but it is not yet certified. APMEX officials discovered the error and conducted non-destructive fineness tests before sending it to NGC for authentication and grading. NGC graded the coin MS69 with a regular strike designation. Officials then submitted the coin to PCGS, where the wrong planchet error was certified.

Like all U.S. gold bullion coins, the error was struck at the West Point Mint. The mint has not commented on how the wrong blank was used, or how many could have been struck.

Due to the American Buffalo's finer composition, it is thicker and lighter.

Since they both contain one oz of gold but the eagle also contains an additional tenth of an oz of alloy I would expect that if they are the same diameter the buffalo planchet would be THINNER and lighter.

Due to the American Buffalo's finer composition, it is thicker and lighter.

Since they both contain one oz of gold but the eagle also contains an additional tenth of an oz of alloy I would expect that if they are the same diameter the buffalo planchet would be THINNER and lighter.

This is why I stay pretty much confused all the time, par for the course.

Note: How come 'spell checker' does not recognize "planchet"?

That thing is not a turn-on for me, at all.....

Now, strike one on an Ike dollar planchet.......

That can be arranged, for a fee. It may be easier to get it on a silver eagle planchet, since Ike's aren't made anymore. But if you supply the blank planchet, I'm sure you and an enterprising mint employee can come to some arrangement!

Send it on over to Carr... :devil::baiting:

He now offers his services for hire and makes broad reference to replication of coins. He even makes his own planchets. Given his logic, I don't see why he wouldn't sell these as "fantasy planchets," but I won't speak for him. I don't know what limitations, if any, he would impose on his custom services.

This coin should not be allowed to be sold. It should be confiscated until the U.S. Treasury via the Secret Service determines the legitimacy of this piece. The U.S. Mint should not be allowed to investigate itself in this matter. The U.S. Mint has not offered an explanation of this supposed "error".

Who obtained the piece after it left the Mint? Was it a mail order, a window purchase, part of a bulk purchase (which seems to be the 'story")?

How did it escape the U.S. Mint?

It does not matter if it is or was issued as bullion or not. It is an asset of the U.S. Treasury.

Labeling this piece an "error", in an attempt to declare the piece a numismatic rarity, absent any proof of same, is disingenuous. It is stated that there may be others. All the more reason for the U.S. Treasury to investigate.