• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mercury Dime 2016 Centennial Gold Coin "2nd Release"

18 posts in this topic

December 15, 2016, the U. Mint is again releasing the Mercury Dime. Price $200.00. All the intelligent people should be rushing to the door. How do you like that coin people?

*Mintage 125,000

December 15, 2016, the U. Mint is again releasing the Mercury Dime. Price $200.00. All the intelligent people should be rushing to the door. How do you like that coin people?

*Mintage 125,000

Are these pieces going to look exactly like the initial piece with a much smaller mintage? There are going to be a lot of angry collectors.

These appear to be the unsold remainders from last spring.

How can that be, as it was touted as a 'sellout'?? I hope they are not seconds, returns or damaged pieces.....

Many were returns for various reasons. One can be assured that all the 'gems' have been accounted for.

I misunderstood. I thought the first batch sold out completely.

You know full well the initial production never sold out, only being ceased for unknown OR maybe "known" reasons. There were a few complaints, maybe too many relating to strike. The collectors were not pleased, not at all.

How can that be, as it was touted as a 'sellout'?? I hope they are not seconds, returns or damaged pieces.....

Many were returns for various reasons. One can be assured that all the 'gems' have been accounted for.

If the coins are returns, then there is a good chance that many of the new offerings will be rejects or of defect quality. I wouldn't discount, however, that some of them may not have been sold if the buyers couldn't flip them soon enough either.

The Mint does not resell coins returned as defective. They are used internally to improve quality control and design, and eventually destroyed.

The new offering is likely of pieces reserved to fill orders that never materialized. All of the coins were made and packaged late last winter. I recall seeing messages about several thousand remainders....but that should be independently checked.

Yes, I too remember a large # of unsold (4900 comes to mind) from mintage reports in the weeks following the sellout.

The mint allocated pieces to orders that were then cancelled - credit card problems, household order limits, etc.

I also believe that the returns were inspected and ones that pass reQC could be reoffered.

The Mint does not resell coins returned as defective. They are used internally to improve quality control and design, and eventually destroyed.

The new offering is likely of pieces reserved to fill orders that never materialized. All of the coins were made and packaged late last winter. I recall seeing messages about several thousand remainders....but that should be independently checked.

Are you sure about the destroyed? I was going to call customer service to see what they said. Household limit is 1 for now.

I thought I heard there were 8600 left of the 125K max and some people speculated the mint was going to make a 3 coin set.

Does anyone know if these have to be all sold before 2017 ?

Are you sure about the destroyed? I was going to call customer service to see what they said. Household limit is 1 for now.

I thought I heard there were 8600 left of the 125K max and some people speculated the mint was going to make a 3 coin set.

Does anyone know if these have to be all sold before 2017 ?

Commemoratives can only be sold in the current year, everything else can be sold the following year/s.

The U.S. Mint is currently holding in its inventory nearly 9,000 2016-W Winged Liberty Head gold dimes, and the nation's coin producer has yet to announce plans for reselling the coins.

The U.S. Mint offered the maximum authorization of 125,000 coins at noon Eastern Time April 21 at $205 per coin. At the household ordering limit of 10 coins, enough orders were placed to consume the entire maximum mintage of the tenth-ounce .9999 fine gold coins in less than an hour.

I hope that is the case. I returned my half dollar because it had a noticeable planchet defect on the rim that survived the strike and could be seen with the naked eye. To me it was unacceptable, but what if somebody at the order fulfillment center decides that I was being too picky and that it is good enough to sell? After all, somebody decided that it was good enough to sell in the first place.

I have not yet received my replacement piece, and I hope that I do not get somebody else's return that the quality control people looked at and deemed good enough to send back out.

TD

Edited to add: Picked up the replacement coin this afternoon and am very happy with it. Definitely not somebody else's reject.

TD

The remaining gold dimes go on sale 12-15-2016 at $200.00 each.

From seeing how things work internally at the Mint, the goal is as close to a "perfect" coin as they can get. But they use a lot of inspection technology and that can be both a boon and detriment. Most products are almost without blemish, and the fulfillment/return center certainly inspects every returned coin and reads any accompanying letters. (Eventually, all of these letters will become part of the archives...but that's many years down the road.)