• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2016 Special Edition Silver Proof Set

11 posts in this topic

It includes all of the silver coins, excluding the commemoratives, that mint has issued this year in one package. In this case the parts can be purchased for less than the whole. If you bought these coins earlier (ASE and the 2016 silver Proof set), you could have had the same coins plus the base metal pieces for less money.

Nevertheless this item has been issued for several years, and it seems to have a following.

"Roger, it clearly says right in the advertising that it is "Special." What more do you need?"

Oh....I must have missed the memo. Is it like those healthy "Fat Free" candy canes or "Gluten Free" bottled water....?

I just thought it was cool all in one holder. But really probably why I bought it was because it was limited to 50k. It seems I always miss the limited edition stuff that sells out in the first few hours. This one I guess not so popular - its still available.

The set is also gluten free.

Don't eat the box it comes in, I heard they used cornstarch in the glue. :gossip:

I like the set in a single lens, looks nice.

The set is also gluten free.

Don't eat the box it comes in, I heard they used cornstarch in the glue. :gossip:

I like the set in a single lens, looks nice.

Cornstarch is still gluten free.

Just purchased 2016 Special Edition Silver Proof Set from U.S. Mint. Have these been available in past years ? Never noticed before.

This set was first available in 2012. They have changed the packaging at least once since then due to quality problems and this resulted in no sets being produced in 2015. There have been four sets; 2012, 2013, 2014, and the latest 2016. I believe that they have always been priced at $139 per set.

NGC will certify the complete limited edition set only if it is submitted in an unopened outer shipping box as received from the Mint. They will not certify individual coins from these limited edition sets. All coins in the set must be certified.

There is nothing special about the silver coins in these sets, only the unique packaging. It's a nice presentation of each year's silver proofs all in one package, similar to looking at coins in a Dansco album.

I don't believe that these ever sold out, but some years had very low numbers of sets sold. This may add some value down the road. The 2012 set is probably a "rare" set only because the number of 2012 proof sets were the lowest mintage in five decades.