• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cleaning Silver Dollar---Very Bad?

21 posts in this topic

Hi! I came across this sale on ebay---the picture attached. Now this looks like it was obviously cleaned. How much does this detract from the value? It's currently selling for $10, but the auction is almost over. How much does cleaning a coin detract from the value, and is there any safe ways to clean a silvert dollar? Any and all responses will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

166073.png.dc33f792d58440db459dbc4a9204cbef.png

Agree with Dan as far as this coin being a fake. As far as how much cleaning affects the value of a coin, it depends on the degree of cleaning. Some lightly cleaned coins are graded and slabbed by the major grading services because the cleaning is considered to be "market acceptable".

Blake's7 - It might be easier for you to copy on-line photos. Right click on the image, then select copy or save as. That will give you better quality than a screen grab.

That coin appears to be an artificially-aged modern Chinese counterfeit (not even real silver).

No silly, it is a Chinese fantasy coin for those who cannot afford a real one - they just make their own for fun. :makepoint: Unless you can prove the intent of the producer, it is taboo to use the "c-word" here on the forums. (tsk)

I am not aware of any arrests or cease/desist orders for producing coins of this nature, so the minter must not have been "notified" by the feds or foreign analogs, which must mean the pieces are LEGAL and cannot be called counterfeits. No one is being harmed, and almost anyone can pick up a book.

To answer the OP's question, it is my understanding even a cleaned common date Peace dollar is worth silver melt value.

Yes, even 'cull' dollars will still have a small premium over melt.

Paul

Thanks for all the responses. I just started collecting, but I'm collecting morgan silver dollars mainly. I have 3 peace dollars, but the rest are morgan. So far I think I've done well---a couple are probably what I paid for them, but most are worth more than I paid. How can you tell fakes from online pics? And, is there a way to clean the coins safely. Thanks.

I'm not sure what you mean by "outline pictures," but detecting counterfeit coins is sometimes not easy. Some counterfeits are poorly made and don't look much like the real thing. Others are very well done and have fooled the experts .

You best defense against counerfeits is the learn what the genuine coins look like. That takes strong sense of observation, a lot of practice and maybe something like a photographic memory.

Some counterfeits are dead give aways. For example the U.S. Government never issued an 1886-CC silver dollar. Don't be afraid to look at your price guide or a Red Book at a coin show. If there is no listing for a coin, it almost certainly is a counterfeit.

Beyond the fact that the 1886-CC dollar was never made, look at the "6" in the date. It's bigger than the other digits. The U.S. Mint did not make coins like that except in its very earliest days. There are other signs as well. Compare this piece with your genuine Morgan Dollars.

1886-CCChinaO.jpg1886-ccChinaR.jpg

Also if the picture on the Internet is dark, out of focus or shot at an odd angle, PASS . All of these are ways that crooks use to hide the fact that their offerings are counterfeits.

Finally, DON'T CLEAN YOUR COINS !!! Many good coins have been ruined by cleaning. Even when experts dip tarnish from a coin, many collectors don't like nowadays. Buy the coin the way you like it, and don't mess with it to make it "better.' At least as a beginner, you probably won't make it better and could very well make it worse.

That coin appears to be an artificially-aged modern Chinese counterfeit (not even real silver).

No silly, it is a Chinese fantasy coin for those who cannot afford a real one - they just make their own for fun. :makepoint: Unless you can prove the intent of the producer, it is taboo to use the "c-word" here on the forums. (tsk)

I am not aware of any arrests or cease/desist orders for producing coins of this nature, so the minter must not have been "notified" by the feds or foreign analogs, which must mean the pieces are LEGAL and cannot be called counterfeits. No one is being harmed, and almost anyone can pick up a book.

Oh please. Trying to be cute on a thread from a new member who has no clue what you're talking about is real nice bro.

OP, disregard coinmans post above. It has nothing to do with this thread

To the original poster, the coloration is off, and I agree that the coin likely isn't even silver. Looking at the details, it might also be a cast counterfeit. I agree with looking to other examples that are certified to learn what a genuine piece looks like.

And my other comments were not snide remarks directed at you. Unauthorized privately made pieces in the design or similitude of U.S. coins and currency are counterfeits regardless of the adjective and flowery description used to describe them.

Oh please. Trying to be cute on a thread from a new member who has no clue what you're talking about is real nice bro.

To CC:

This place is becoming toxic, and you are such a numismatic killjoy. Why do you not appreciate the fine art work that is the subject of this thread? To paraphrase a certain forum member, you don't get to decide what art is. :facepalm:

To the original poster, the coloration is off, and I agree that the coin likely isn't even silver. Looking at the details, it might also be a cast counterfeit. I agree with looking to other examples that are certified to learn what a genuine piece looks like.

And my other comments were not snide remarks directed at you. Unauthorized privately made pieces in the design or similitude of U.S. coins and currency are counterfeits regardless of the adjective and flowery description used to describe them.

To CC:

This place is becoming toxic, and you are such a numismatic killjoy. Why do you not appreciate the fine art work that is the subject of this thread? To paraphrase a certain forum member, you don't get to decide what art is. :facepalm:

Imagine the fun level had I been the conveyor of your on target satirical paraphrasing. It would have been enough to last a week. Better than visiting Disney World. I could probably sell tickets in advance if I announced a forthcoming appearance. I did see a picture of you once, though. I guess it could be described as cute. But, that would be the least physical (or otherwise) description of me that would be used, had I opined in a similar manner. My gosh, 7 bazillion members would have vowed to end their lives.