• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My new $5 indian

10 posts in this topic

I just got this one today and I would like to here opinion's from others that are familiar with these coins and don't be afraid to give your honest opinion. thanks mike smile.gifhEGj7pcIDw9I7SdsKIIkiQ0b3NYRL93X0180.jpgMEEDl6MpwYIl11zHvHpewyW7F7MnoK9X0180.jpg0rLXIpDfAtgdRFzR+ZRSND9m+9g6o-rw0180.jpg

Nice one mike, though I am not a big fan of the design. Looks to be a nice AU, a little wear on the top of the wing. Also looks like there might be some hairlines, but it's hard to tell from the pic.

Thanks Jeff, is a filled mint mark common on these? Also if you look at the periphery there is a ring that goes around the coin part way- what causes this? Thanks mike smile.gif

Mike, I think because of the incuse strike, filled mintmarks are more common one these than other series. As for the ring, I think that is also due to strike, my guess is that a heavier strike produces it. I have seen several with the ring all the way around. I am not an expert by any means on this series, so perhaps someone else knows for certain.

Thanks Jeff, my guess was the ring was some type of result from there being no raised rim on these coins. I have looked through old auction catalogs and about half of the 1909-D indians have this same ring. Also I believe the mint mark on these coins is the only raised feature on these coins. Klectorkid, thanks AU58 was what I had in mind also. Maybe by the end of the month I will be able to grade these better as I have more on the way to practice on. mike smile.gif

I am gonna stick out my neck, and say Ms-61. Remember that Gold is soft, and bag marks easily, with a few dings. Looking at that pic, that may well be a mint state coin......to me, it is a slider, so I would go with low grade mint state.

Pretty looking coin, at any rate.

It's extremely hard to grade these coins even in person. I *think* I see a discoloration on the flat points, possibly pointing to wear. However, these coins can fool you.

I'd probably guess AU58 based only on the photo. However, I will say that I frequently UNDERgrade gold coins when it comes to the grading services. I guess I'm just more critical than they are.

Why not send it to NGC to get graded and authenticated? These are commonly faked.

Most dealers can't grade these at shows. A lot of people with experience in the series will cherrypick coins advertised as AU which are really MS-62, 63 coins, get them slabbed, and sell them for the difference.

I'm going to say AU-58, but a MS-60/61 wouldn't surprise me.

Kieth- I thought that being able to accurately grade these coins was something I should have done a long time ago as I think I have missed some opportunities on buying some MS coins at AU prices. Here's another one I got at NCS right now that had some PVC residue on the reverse. Greg I will be sending the 1909-D to NGC when I get a couple more gold coins so I can take advantage of the gold rush special. Goldenstate- an MS61 would be great! mike smile.gifBkA-VCMixQ98eHQOO184lNeCkE6ywZAj0180.jpgVaGuio0N7Yf6LkYOqjNn2iWstaXs2mXt0180.jpgrsNn-aLBx98MzRFVQ4k-ECRc3s+UBgZE0180.jpgQ3MeCXvsGiGLMBcUoP4oZiboQrvunilp0180.jpg