• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Brown paper tape.

15 posts in this topic

Does your local Post Office require use of plain brown paper tape to seal registered packages, or do they permit brown paper tape with nylon reinforcement threads?

Paper tape is hard to find. I order large roll referred to as 'registered tape' on line for about 10.00 including shipping. Cant tell you where I got it last but I could find out.

My PO used to require the reinforced version (think overseas military PO types). I think they thought that would defeat me from shipping registered (they hated dealing with that).

This is the tape I used. And, I get the gummed/water activated. I know it's accepted so never tried to order the self stick.

Amazon--Duck Tape

That's the stuff that's easy to find. Around here (Washington DC) the plain gummed paper is difficult to locate.

I've never tried duck tape - mostly because we have these stupid Canada geese, and very few ducks, so I assumed the duck tape would not stick to geese. I use it, however, for holding counterfeit coins - keeps them from quacking so much. :)

That's the stuff that's easy to find. Around here (Washington DC) the plain gummed paper is difficult to locate.

I've never tried duck tape - mostly because we have these stupid Canada geese, and very few ducks, so I assumed the duck tape would not stick to geese. I use it, however, for holding counterfeit coins - keeps them from quacking so much. :)

You must be doing a type set then, which means you will need a lot of tape to keep up with the flood of domestic counterfeit coins that have hit the market in recent years.

Does your local Post Office require use of plain brown paper tape to seal registered packages, or do they permit brown paper tape with nylon reinforcement threads?

Paper tape is required for Registered mail because the package is not allowed to have any smooth, plastic surfaces exposed. The reinforced tape is what has always been recommended (possibly required), because it is water activated and creates a semi-permanent bond to the box.

Reinforced for me. Not hard to find and one roll will last a lifetime.

Most PO's in my area only have one clerk. They will not assist in taping registered boxes. Too time consuming which can cause long lines.

Most PO's in my area only have one clerk. They will not assist in taping registered boxes. Too time consuming which can cause long lines.

I can't imagine a clerk doing that. Perhaps in a small town office. Boy, the people behind me would be PO'd.....

Paul