• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I got a few new coins today...

20 posts in this topic

I almost forgot about my new coins! Today I bought a 1960 proof set and a 1966 special mint set. They are very nice! In a few weeks I'll be sending them and a 1957 proof set to NGC! It'll take me some time to get the money for grading, at $11 a piece and I have 15 pieces, that's alot. (For me anyway.) I hope you like them!

P.S. I'll try to get some scans of them tonight!

In the proof set there was a card that I find kind of humorous. It reads as follows:

YOUR U.S. PROOF COINS-

have been carefully inspected before release!

If there should appear- what may seem to you- a defect or a scratch on a coin- it is no doubt a crease in the polyethylene-coated cellophane in which they are encased.

We tell you this to save us both unnecessary correspondance.

THANK YOU!

Rae V. Biester,

Superintendent.

Very nice SMS set. Are you going to send everything into NGC or cherry pick? Usually I pick out the best from within the sets rather than pay grading costs for coins that probably don't warrant it. That's not to say that I haven't made some damn poor choices crazy.gif

...but I do try to send only what I think are superior examples.

I havn't decided. Though, I'm thinking of only sending the 50C and 5C from the SMS set. I might not send in the proof set either. I've got 9 spectacular Roosevelts I may send in instead of the proof set.

It's the large date. The shop where I bought them had the small date too, but if I would have bought that I wouldn't of had enough for the SMS set. I'll probably go back next weekend with some more money and buy the small date set.

Nice sets!

I also have found some very nice coins going through old mint and proof sets, but it takes looking at alot of sets to find those really special coins.

John