• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is the bottom out of the tub at PCGS?

7 posts in this topic

Abe Lincoln asked this question during the darkest days of the Civil War. One might ask the same question about the PCGS empire. The parent company dumps Dave Bowers. Dealers are complaining bitterly about the treatment they are getting from the graders. Now they have put the hammer down on their message board and expelling dissidents.

Is PCGS a wounded animal? Is it lashing out at in retaliation for something? Whatever it is, if it continues they might be on the way to self-destruction.

Well, obviously my opinion might now be considered biased, but I am honestly finding more and more reasons to go with NGC than P*GS. In fact, with the exception of ultra-modern coins, I see no reason to go with P*GS. Their new price structure and minimum quantity will no doubt push more of these coins to NGC.

Classics are on equal ground with NGC/P*GS.

Quais-modern coins are bringing strong money in NGC slabs.

Moderns are starting to move up in NGC slabs. They aren't at the same level as P*GS, but they are moving higher and being noticed.

The number of dealers screaming at P*GS gets bigger as the days go by. David Hall responds by telling them they are insufficiently_thoughtful_persons and can't grade.

The NGC registry seems to be going well. The growth of the P*GS has slowed. Their Canadian one is a bust so far.

I honestly wonder if one of the insiders will leave taking his stock with him and then try and oust DH and the other do nothings. The more DH opens his mouth, the worse he and his company looks. He's taken personal shots at his dealers, the collectors, and just about everyone else. They are going downhill at an extreme speed.

I've said it over and over, PCGS has the feel of a company that has just had a major layoff. The employees are grouchy and the directors have some axes to grind. And it doesn't just stop on a dime. This stuff feeds on itself, perpetuates, and grows. The water line is still high in the PCGS tub, but I think someone has accidentally hit the release on the drain.

At this point, David Hall needs to take his user ID and retire from posting. He has done more harm than good with his current attitudes, and will continue to alienate the dealers and collectors with each cocky post.

I think that it is becoming more clear why David Hall was not president of PCGS in the past. He seems to be a classic example of a person who "is not a people person." I have been struggling with the question of renewing my PCGS membership or switching to NGC and it is getting easier by the day.

Much as we like to gossip about PCGS, the fact remains that what they are going through it really irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. Even if they cease to exist, the coins in their holders will still be bought and sold, and over the long term will find themselves in new holders. However, my guess is that they will eventually realize the folly of their ways and turn things around and resume their pursuit of the #1 player (whoever that happens to be at that time, but it will no doubt not be them).

As far as DH goes, everytime I read anything he says, he reminds me of this dealer around here that I see at most of the shows. He is a real jerk, always rude, and acting as if you are bothering him. He treats you like you couldn't possibly have enough money to purchase anything from him, or make him actually open the case. Well, he can get away with that as long as he has the coins people really want, but I walked right past him today and didn't even look at his case. PCGS and DH can get away with the attitude as long as they have what everyone wants, but as soon as people realize there are better players with better service, then it will get pretty quiet in Newport Beach.