• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Need some opinions on this 1831 bust half

8 posts in this topic

I was the high bidder on this one, but the reserve wasn't met. So, I contacted the seller and they want $89 for it, though I was only willing to bid $70. I think it's a pretty common coin, and I am a little on the fence on this one, as I think it's a nice coin, but I am really concerned about the scratches on the right side of the reverse near the eagle's wing. The price they are asking seems high to me, but since I am still pretty new at this, I thought I ask for some opinions. Here's the auction: 1831 Half

I like the nice even wear on it. However, the scratches on the reverse would make it lose eye appeal, and you might not enjoy the coin. I guess it's up to you on the basis if you can live with scratches and can enjoy the coin with the scratches.

It is a decent coin for about $70-80 bucks. I'd say it falls in the VF-25-30 area, possibly EF 40 at most. Those coins are common, but fun to own. Be advised that most of them that appear with that gray look have been at one time cleaned, and would be downgraded for cleaning, or bodybagged. So, if you buy it and want it slabbed, go for ANACS, NOT PCGS or NGC, as they'd probably reject it for cleaning.

That coin grades XF40 to 45 by NGC standards, but it is definitely a problem coin because of the scratches. It is not worth $89 as such.

Problem Bust Halves are common, but, there is nothing common about a choice Bust half, especially an 1831. If that coin is original, and if it did not have the scratches, it would be worth about $100.

You forgot about NCS! Send your problem coins to NCS...

As far as the half goes, I think you can find a better looking one with out much trouble..

I know you said you'll pass, but I'll give my opinions anyway - which are repeating what others have said.

The coin looks to me to be VF35. That's given my limited experience with them. The scratches on the reverse kill the coin. The color is also a little odd.

At $89 you are above retail for a solid XF coin. I'd pass.