• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Full Bands

20 posts in this topic

Hey guys, so im starting to work on a roosevelt set from 1946-64 all fullbands if possible. I been looking online for some and even looking at those residing in old holders since the fb and ft designation only was added in early 2000s. I need help from you guys if you believe off the photos it would be a good shot at getting it or would it miss the designation. The coin in question is a 1958 which has been graded ms67 by ngc but in a old holder.

66wq6X3.png

If it's FB, I can't tell from the image provided. Can you show a larger, clear one of the bands?

Sadly they don't provide the clearest images on the planet so thats the best i can do. I did put a bid for it anyway.

I did this too thinking i would get some good finds. I did not find very many as the FB/FT designation can be hard to see via images. It is my perception, while the definition between PCGS and NGC is the same, NGC grades this designation a bit tougher

It isn't just an issue of being tougher, the definitions for FB (PCGS) and FT (NGC) are different. PCGS requires only the horizontal bands be separated. NGC requires full separation of the horizontal bands as well as the vertical torch lines.

Images are very much an issue. PCGS and NGC designations are different as PCGS requires only the 2 horizontal bands as NGC requires those 2 bands and the vertical lines of the torch.

One way to determine if the bands are separated enough (horizontal) is to turn the coin sideways and look at the bands. If they look like railroad tracks, or you could pass a ship between (canal) then it's all good. Similar with the vertical. Think of the bands as "fully-rounded". Cuts through the bands will affect this as well.

Here's a great example of fully-split bands:

1952DPCGS.jpg

Most of the time you can't determine if the bands are fully split via image, unless it's large and a very sharp picture. In-hand is the only way to be fairly sure.

Hey guys, so im starting to work on a roosevelt set from 1946-64 all fullbands if possible. I been looking online for some and even looking at those residing in old holders since the fb and ft designation only was added in early 2000s. I need help from you guys if you believe off the photos it would be a good shot at getting it or would it miss the designation. The coin in question is a 1958 which has been graded ms67 by ngc but in a old holder.

66wq6X3.png

The images are not clear enough to tell. Keep in mind that the NGC Full Torch designation is not the same thing as the PCGS Full Bands designation. A FB coin can miss NGC FT due to weakness or breaks in the rods of the fasces.

1952DPCGS.jpg

Most of the time you can't determine if the bands are fully split via image, unless it's large and a very sharp picture. In-hand is the only way to be fairly sure.

Very nice coin!

(thumbs u

John Phillip Sousa always had full bands....Same of University of Michigan. :)

Ohhhh... so THAT'S what the 'JS' initials on the obverse stand for... "John Souza!"

Nice research, RWB ;-)

Yep. And...the new half dollar with "John Sousa" initials was really a commemorative for the "Liberty Bell" march. The marching band's bell cracked when the musician stepped in a pot hole on Pennsylvania Ave. and accidentally hit the bell too hard with his head.

Strange - but untrue!

Probably shouldnt have posted this coin until later. Now you will have lots of competition! I had it on my watch list before reading this post though as I really liked the toning. I think this is one that will be close but it appears weak to me in at least one place. Look at both sets of photos they have used. The other pics being they use don't even come close.

One way to determine if the bands are separated enough (horizontal) is to turn the coin sideways and look at the bands. If they look like railroad tracks, or you could pass a ship between (canal) then it's all good. Similar with the vertical. Think of the bands as "fully-rounded". Cuts through the bands will affect this as well.

1952DPCGS.jpg

Wow what a great image. What a great coin !

"From the images it doesn't look like full bands to me. It looks far from it actually."

Kind of looks like the trombones took a later train than the rest of the band.