• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic collector lurker introduction of sorts.

16 posts in this topic

Hi everyone.

I am a comic collector and was very active over on the CGC boards for many years. I dropped off the radar for collecting of anything until recently. I have posted here and feel like the drop in was, while gracefully accepted by members here, rude on my part.

I will share a bit of my back story which really isn't all that interesting as a coin collector. Around 87-89, I was a bank teller and my interest grew in coins and collecting. I would pull out silver and silver clad coins but mainly we focused on pennies. Yes, pennies specifically wheat pennies. I got a book, found a local dealer. You know the drill.

I didn't drive at the time as I was still a young teenager, so my Dad would take me up to the dealer shop. I think he enjoyed looking at the coins too. This is going back 20 some odd years, he was loving father but times where different then. For my Dad to take me, it was a big deal. It was probably a total of 3-4 times and I remember us stopping at the pool hall twice. It was great memories for me to have some personal alone time with him. I felt it really helped our relationship. He passed several years later.

I haven't pulled out my coin "collection" in probably a decade or more. This weekend, I was cleaning and found some of it. I pulled out the rest to catalogue it. Even though I went to a coin dealer, I didn't know what i was buying. I loved Peace dollars and have a whooping 3 of them. I have a heavily whizzed Morgan too. :( It is very small since I purchasing it and wanted to start off slowly.

I mainly stuck to ordering from the US Mint. So I have a run of American Eagles proof and some Prestige Silver Proof sets, etc. Nothing big, nothing really worth money but the memories are great to have.

I am not sure if posting collections is allowed here. I thought these would be fun to look at. This is done about 25 years ago. I must of sorted out the coins by year and I even marked the rolls. Even then, I was an organizational freak. I wish that spread through my life but it stops at my collections. Sorry for the horrible polish. I was trying out some old colors.

th_pennyrolls1_zpsi1ghli0b.jpgth_pennyrolls1942_zps9xcbku02.jpg

If anyone is interested I will post some more pictures. But be warned, they are not interesting and come from a time where I had no idea what I was collecting. Well, actually the interesting part is that I wrote down the prices and it was pre-internet days. So there is that. I even have the Blue collector albums too. Looking at this is very overwhelming from a personal standpoint.

Flash forward to the present and I have been working for a coin company now of 1 year. I am trying to learn more about coins, grading, etc. So I will continue lurking around here and there to learn the ropes more. I am still trying to put together cheat sheets of better dates and some notes on what to look for. My memory over the years isn't great and I have no date memory attachment. So that makes coins hard for me to recall. In comics it is OK to just know the era. :)

That sounds great. Good luck in that job ! Working with coins is more fun when you enjoy them.

Post any photos that you would like. We all like to look at stuff !

Paul

It is always interesting to see other members collecting methods and what they have accumulated over the years, so yes, fill us in with whatever. I have lots of whatever all over.

Lurking is OK. It's a good way to develop a set of questions while giving yourself time to absorb some of the subject.

Thanks everyone. Hi Mike! I was surprised to see you down here when I was reading thorough a bunch of old threads. Didn't realize you were a coinee too. The job keeps me active but it is a lot of work for little pay. I guess that is true with most fun jobs. Oh, my next lifetime I will stick to my computer career. :P

@WoodenJefferson - I think my "collection" is more of a warning of what you should not do. I clearly marks lots of beginner mistakes. These pitfalls can be avoided with the internet now. So from that standpoint, it is interesting to see how it looks in today's market.

I will post more pictures but beware I cannot photograph coins. There isn't a whole lot here either.

This was first box. The first picture was taken after I removed the folder with the pocket sheets. I only posted thumbnails of these but you can click on them for big pictures. The single coins purchased were anywhere from 1987-1990. I was a very active young adult with a big clubbing nightlife so this was a very small hobby for me. The dealer that I went to was very kind and knowledgeable. I never spend a lot of money on any one coin. After taking all my pictures I see what I was doing, getting one example of every coin type.

th_StorageBoxLookingIn_zpsuov6n3z6.jpgth_Pocket3_zps7zqgac0g.jpgth_Pocket2_zpsfrhlossy.jpgth_Pocket1_zpsa8smh3qg.jpgth_Pocket1_Back_zpspmmtvzhx.jpg

I am not posting a picture of the Wildlife medal or the square strange coin. But will if you want. I even found my drawing of a Grim Reaper in the folder! I was looking for that, NOT. :)

1921 - She looks like there was some work done on her. Little whizzing by date. I don't have a grade listed but I paid $15.

peace1921Sm_zpsrtoninnt.jpg

peace1921_reverse_sm_zpsmkity4yj.jpg

1923 - I have listed as VGood and paid $10 - See looks much better than VG except for the rim on the back. It is just a different grading scale from back then?

peace1923_sm_zpsh0zwrdmp.jpg

peace1923_reverse_sm_zpsr4pmc9wv.jpg

1924 - listed as Circulated $18.00

Peace1924_sm_zpsqhv9beot.jpg

Peace1924_reverse_sm_zpsothyx2ir.jpg

1882 Morgan - Heavily whizzed front and back. I think because it is in a flip, I purchase it from the cheap bin. No markings on price or grade.

Morgan1882_sm_zpsh9wihvvj.jpg

Morgan1882_reverse_sm_zpsqrmct08r.jpg

Walking Liberty 1942 - She is really pretty. I am surprised how nice of a coin I purchased. Another Vgood grade at $6.00

WL1942SM_zpscxxsztuv.jpg

WL1942_ReverseSM_zps7q625ji1.jpg

Standing Liberty 1930 - No grade paid $12.50 - I would be curious as to the grade since the rims are pretty marked up

StLib1930_sm_zpswr11zils.jpg

STLib1930_reverse_SM_zpsyam6g8a8.jpg

Mercury Dime 1942 - graded as New price $3.00 - there is some wear in the fields but it must of just been minted to get a NEW grade. :)

Mercury1942sm_zpscrc49fem.jpg

Mercury1942_reverse_zpspqcj2orp.jpg

Buffalo Nickel 1938D - Grade Choice - $7.00 - Dealer must of hooked up me. :)

Buff1938D_sm_zpslpvg3ljg.jpg

Buff1938D_reverrseSM_zpsmhfne0xk.jpg

Indian Penny 1907 - $1 no grade.

Ind1907Sm_zps1uq9kypj.jpg

ind1907_reversesm_zpsk2xaxyp5.jpg

1883 - No Cent - No grade or price and again the square makes me think it was a bargain bin special.

V1883-NoCentsm_zpsk0hhovre.jpg

V1883-NoCent_Reversesm_zpsztv72rm5.jpg

3¢ Nickel - No grade or price

3centNickelSm_zpsw60pr8di.jpg

3centNickel_reverseSm_zpshjpelgux.jpg

The pocket sheets above, all those half dollars were found in change at the bank and purchased at face value. Along with this stash. Although, I though I had a bunch more Franklin halves.

LooseCoins_zpsub1pwqoo.jpg

I posted the penny pictures. I will take pictures of the blue albums if anyone cares. But they are boring. So that is it. Still not sure what to do with all the loose change. The Kennedy for the most part have some luster and look in decent shape. Some are just circ though. The books are literally taken from pocket change. :P Not a big market in that.

I have for some reason a bunch of notes. I love the $2 note and recall purchase a few. But the others, nope. I am really guess that I purchased them from my bank draw. I would post them but this is coin forum.

Thank you for indulging me. It has be quite a nostalgic weekend and this was therapeutic.

Thanks for sharing and welcome to coin forum! Neat to read what you came across as a bank teller. Last Saturday I stopped at a bank to pick up some half dollar rolls and one of the tellers mentioned she had some loose halves and if I wanted those. I asked to take a look at them, and quickly glanced at the edges before she handed them to me and told her, "no, that's fine, thanks." She asked what I was checking for and I told her, "just checking the composition." She answered with a very puzzled, "Ohh." The teller next to her was on to what I was doing and said, "he's checking the edges looking for silver." She then plopped a 1964 Washington Quarter on the counter, and showed both of us what she found in change that morning. She then showed the edge of the coin to her co-worker, and educated her on the differences. I then spoke with both of them about the various die varieties that are found on Kennedy halves and explained that some are quite rare. This turned into a fun discussion about coins, and was a good lesson for me!

That sounds like a fun trip to the bank. Educational one for you too as now you need to go to a different branch. (: It is hard to be around money all day without wondering about its history etc. I probably found more and spent it along the way.

Someone I am working with now had a customer cash in a bunch of Morgans for face value. She told me that she advised him to go to a dealer but he just wanted to cash them in. I asked it if was a kid and she said no. It still am like WTH?

I am going to start looking at the Kennedy halves over the next few weeks. At quick glance nothing struck me as unique. I don't have any 1970s either. Just 64-69. They have retained their luster for the most part which is more than the Franklin halves.

I am keeping all my coins. It was fun to go through them as I haven't looked at my small collection in about 15 years. I didn't even know what I had either. I am selling my commemorative coins as I am not really into them and don't even know why I purchased them.

If anyone wants to comment on the quality, please do. I purchased these on random trips to the coin shop during a time I had very little information on coins. I had a few books and probably made a ton of rookie mistakes. I would love to learn more.

Hey, neat stuff......I would take those '21 Peace dollars at 15 dollars all day.....

At the numbers that your talking, it's too bad you didn't buy more.......

Paul

I like the 1942 Walking Liberty half dollar but then again I like shiny objects.

Interesting collection...a little bit of everything.

I've seen Peace dollars that people have shined up with 00 steel wool and then they admire their handy work.

Thanks. Those prices I posted are about 25 years old. I was just starting to collect and lost interest after my father passed. It is a small collection and I only visited the shop a handful of times. I am actually surprised some of the coins are in nicer condition than I would have expected.

Edit: I posted the prices only because it is fun to see what they were so long ago.

Why use wool, right?