• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Interesting story...

11 posts in this topic

Interesting story. Last month I shared my coin show experience at the ANA here in Anaheim. I posted the two coins I bought. Both Bust Dimes 1811 and an 1828.

ANA Report

The 1828 was in a small auction held by David Perkins for the estate of Kirk Gorman. I had planned on bidding on that coin for a number of months. However, the 1811 I found at another dealer’s table at the ANA and since the dealer knew me he showed it to me as came up to the table. It was a very nice coin but I didn’t want to buy anything else due to the bidding on the 1828. Eventually, I gave in and bought it.

While bidding for the 1828 I was doing research and found the coin in the 2003 Benson sale at Goldbergs (a sale I attended as it turns out...not for Bust coinage though...):

After I won the 1828 in Perkin's auction I was searching around Coin Facts and found out that the 1811 I bought at the ANA was ALSO in the same Benson sale! What are the chances?

In fact, it was 16 lots earlier.

Then, just today after tinkering around I noticed the detail in the Benson sale catalog description. It turns out Benson bought these coins the SAME DAY from the same dealer in 1945. Whoa…OK, maybe that’s not a big deal but I thought how strange. The coins are re-united again. :banana:

jom

PS: I think I should point out that the Goldberg photos were taken in 2003. I find their photos (even back then) better than most auction houses today and probably most dealers. I thought that was an interesting tidbit as well....

That is as interesting a coin story as I have heard in many years. Thanks, Jom, for sharing. I believe you made a very good decision in buying them both. Congratulations.

Jim

That's really weird for something you didn't plan on purpose. They float around for 70 years and then come back together.

Wild !

Paul

A quick correction: The coins were re-united after about 17 years as they sold in 2003.

jom

That is insanely cool.

Thanks for sharing!

Hey Pat

You didn't go with us to that Benson sale did you? I can't remember...I don't think so but I thought I'd ask anyway. I was with Kirk, Dale Larson and John Ruiz. But my ever fading memory seems to recall someone else. Hec I don't even know if you know those guys... hm

jom

That's really weird for something you didn't plan on purpose. They float around for 70 years and then come back together.

Wild !

Paul

A quick correction: The coins were re-united after about 17 years as they sold in 2003.

jom

Oh yea, I guess I got carried away on the 1945 part......