• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC refuses to acknowledge known errors on new gold mercury dimes posted by firedoc2

11 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

NGC admitted that a common error was to common to recognize

I submitted a order for 9 new mercury dimes for grading all with one of two recognized errors. I was told by NGG when I talked directly to them that no errors were recognized, they took my money, because the errors present were to common for them to recognize. I thought they were independent, not market makers. Who are they to decide an error is not worth grading. I paid the extra fee and they took it. I contacted them by email, phone requesting to be reimbursed at the least. No response.

See more journals by firedoc2

Both major grading services will only recognize errors that are previously known and on their approved list of recognized errors. Just because someone else authenticates an error does not mean NGC (or PCGS) will also.

You really have to call first to be sure. They simply can't authenticate every error out there. It's often difficult and meaningless to do so.

Please understand that many coins minted during that period had errors. Only the most dramatic errors are normally considered for attribution. Some fully struck high grade Mercs are more rare than many of the mistakes made in that era. Sure the older the coin the fewer exist to catalog because many were circulated. Grading companies should concentrate on getting grades right.

Being like an OLD tree I may lose a little bark from this comment. The GOLD merc is merely a copy from back in the day. Yes it is exciting to have one but really ----- Varieties on copies or reprints ----- NO!!

Please understand that many coins minted during that period had errors.

The OP is talking about the new golden copies that were released this year, not an original Merc. And, I don't think it is accurate to say that "many" coins minted during the original run had errors. Legitimate errors, those significant enough to be designated, collected, and paying a premium for, are quite scarce.

Of course, until the OP provides more clarification, we have absolutely no idea what sort of "errors" he's referring to on his coins.

The most commonly encountered "error" on those things is finning. It is very common due to the softness of the gold and the TPG's don't recognize it. I have seen a lot of comments from upset people because their finning errors are not recognized. Can't guarantee that is the case here but there is a good chance.

Sorry I misunderstood original post. OP said Mercury Dimes and probably should have referred to them as 1/10 oz. Mercs. I do not wish to elaborate any further on errors as these are just that - improperly struck coins. I'll stick with the more perfect and visually appealing pieces that I can obtain.

Uhmmm....OK...that kind of leaves the rest of us chickens wandering in the dark and wondering whether to cross the road or just cluck about here in the tall grass.