• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Grandpa got me started in Coins

14 posts in this topic

My grandpa was a collector, back in the 60's - 80's. He sold off most of his collection, but he saved just enough to jumpstart the imagination of a young child back in the early 90's.

My very first coin was a 1986 Statue of Liberty Proof Dollar, which he gave to me on my 1st birthday. Growing up, I stared at that coin in wonder. How reflective it was! And how beautiful were those cameos (of course, I had no idea that's what they were called). From a very early age, I can remember my mom telling me how special that coin was, and that I could look at it but not touch it.

For my 10th Christmas, Grandpa gave me my first RedBook (I still have that, too). There was a bundle of Whitman Thumb-busters, with just a few coins in their slots (a few silver Washingtons, a couple of Kennedys, and a half dozen Ikes). This was a fortune! The untold riches which had befallen me were more than I could imagine. I spent hours upon countless hours pouring over that RedBook, absorbing as much as I could. I imagined seeing, holding, and owning all of the intriguing coins I read about, figuring out which designs interested me most, and which coins were the most valuable. I scoured my pocket change, trying to find a rare or valuable coin - and filling in all of those folders he had given me.

Over time, my tastes have matured as a collector. But the joy of those early years stays with me - all due to the encouragement of my grandpa. When I published my book, one of the most special moments was being able to give him a copy, and seeing the pride in his eyes as he read the first few pages.

Unfortunately, my grandpa died tonight. Last week, they found a blood clot in his neck that left him paralyzed from the neck down. They performed surgery to remove it, but he wasn't able to recover. He will be missed!

Here is a picture of me (much, much younger), and my brothers, with my grandpa:

14224691_10206654268746514_6898815548933927539_n_zps1zfag6sk.jpg

And here is that Liberty dollar that he gave me:

JPA1%20obverse_zpsacjsdgxw.jpg

JPA1%20reverse_zps1hc9hti3.jpg

I am so sorry to hear about your grandpa, Jason.

Sounds like he was a great man and he reminds me of my own grandpa who passed in 1992.

Prayers being sent for you and your family as you mourn this loss.

I am sorry to hear of your grandfather's passing, Jason. My uncle got me started on Christmas Day, 1959 with the 13th edition of The Red Book and the two Lincoln cent folders. That gift probably cost less than $3, but it brought great joy to me.

I'm sorry Jason. I'm thankful he brought you into this great hobby. We need to make a toast to the man if we get to meet in January. Best wishes to you and the family.

Very sorry to hear for your loss, and thanks for sharing the heart felt pictures and story of the Statue of liberty!

My grandfather came from a farming family in central Wisconsin, from Welsh immigrants who were basically illiterate when they came to the US in the 1800s. He was an insurance lawyer, conservative and once admonished me for putting too much in stamps on a letter to him. I remember some 90% silver he left me. My father worked for the Danbury mint later in his life working with Eric Sloane and Roger Peterson on a project. Too bad I didn't show interest in numismatics and US history then when the opportunities were a lot greater.

Hi Jason,

I've just seen your post and wanted to offer my most sincere condolence in the loss of your Grandpa. He gave you a great gift and I'm certain he was delighted to have seen you mature into being such a fine numismatist.

With prayers,

Doug