• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So Apparently A 1964 Morgan Dollar Exist. This is not a drill folks!

114 posts in this topic

Read the book pages before jumping to conclusions.

You'll find the time line for the Morgan design consideration in A Guide Book of Peace Dollars.

Read the book pages before jumping to conclusions.

You'll find the time line for the Morgan design consideration in A Guide Book of Peace Dollars.

What conclusions? Bowers says it was struck. Not sure what you are saying.

"Read the book pages before jumping to conclusions."

It is confirmed. Over on PCGS they are discussing it as well and multiple people confirming it is real and is in the Fed's hands.

The alien ship that crash-landed in Roswell is also in the Fed's hands.

Color me skeptical.

It is confirmed. Over on PCGS they are discussing it as well and multiple people confirming it is real and is in the Fed's hands.

Color me skeptical.

I was as well but Fred Weinberg has also confirmed it and I have zero reason to believe he would lie.

Color me skeptical.

I was as well but Fred Weinberg has also confirmed it and I have zero reason to believe he would lie.

Can you link to the discussion? I don't participate over there.

I would also like to read the appropriate pages in the book, and have an independent researcher verify the source documents. For something like this, a healthy amount of skepticism is obviously required.

Roger - can you summarize the applicable findings in your research? Obviously not the full story (I understand it is in your book), but have you come across anything that would confirm or deny this? And can you explain why?

Color me skeptical.

I would also like to read the appropriate pages in the book, and have an independent researcher verify the source documents. For something like this, a healthy amount of skepticism is obviously required.

Roger - can you summarize the applicable findings in your research? Obviously not the full story (I understand it is in your book), but have you come across anything that would confirm or deny this? And can you explain why?

Absolutely. I was the 2nd poster and originally called BS on this and was VERY skeptical but it appears this is legitimate.

PCGS Forum Discussion

Color me skeptical.

Absolutely. I was the 2nd poster and originally called BS on this and was VERY skeptical but it appears this is legitimate.

PCGS Forum Discussion

So, "fred weinberg" offers absolutely no evidence, no proof, no justification, and only veiled hints that something might exist somewhere..... and we're going to jump on this as proof?

No thank you.

Fred Weinberg is an error dealer. He has no authority in these matters. And he offers zero shreds of evidence except hinting that he is more important than he already thinks he is, and has access to secret hidden knowledge.

I'll believe it when I see it, and evidence that proves it. Until then, it's hocus pocus.

Has Daniel Carr struck any yet???

;-)

I have considered doing a "1920" fantasy-date over-strike Morgan Dollar, but never considered a "1964".

The "1964" date in the photo looks "Chinese-ish".

It was stated that the photo might not be of the actual coin in question.

I will want to see much better photos of the actual coin, and documentation of the trail of custody, before I draw any conclusions.

the coin in that photo doesn't look right but you would have to think they used the actual photo on their cover right? It just seems unreal but why would the red book have a 1964 Morgan dollar on the cover of the 5th edition soon to be released? To RWB and Jason or any other members that doubt the story, why would it be on the cover? Aside from needing more facts, what's your speculation? Should be an interesting month until the issue comes out.

Nick

;-)

Tom, what are your thoughts on this story?

mark

I received a phone call as I was leaving the ANA show from a very reliable source affiliated with the book telling me about this. He had been waiting until then, apparently because of the timing with the Whitman book publication. He'll write an article for the SSDC newsletter, and I'm sure also for other publications.

the coin in that photo doesn't look right but you would have to think they used the actual photo on their cover right? It just seems unreal but why would the red book have a 1964 Morgan dollar on the cover of the 5th edition soon to be released? To RWB and Jason or any other members that doubt the story, why would it be on the cover? Aside from needing more facts, what's your speculation? Should be an interesting month until the issue comes out.

Nick

Until I see proof, I'm skeptical that's even the actual book cover. As mentioned before, there is enough doubt about the authenticity of the picture for me to doubt the cover. This could all be an elaborate hoax.

Or it could be real.

I accept nothing as fact until there is sufficient evidence.

;-)

I have considered doing a "1920" fantasy-date over-strike Morgan Dollar, but never considered a "1964".

The "1964" date in the photo looks "Chinese-ish".

It was stated that the photo might not be of the actual coin in question.

I will want to see much better photos of the actual coin, and documentation of the trail of custody, before I draw any conclusions.

I assume you would not proceed with any future fabrication of any creations and sale to the public until contacting the U.S. Government via your Attorney, in order to determine compliance with existing U.S. laws. I assume your Attorney has advised you on your present and past fabrications and creations and sale to the public and advised you that the endeavors were in compliance with existing U.S. law.

I can't comment on the situation.

Members should ask their questions of Mr. Bowers. He wrote the book and must have verified the documentation and photos.

I can fully understand that this1964 Morgan design was nothing more than a 'concept' coin and the 1964 Peace dollar concept coin won favor and was eventually struck. As of now, I fully believe it is nothing more than that...a conceptual image.

Prove me wrong...please.

On my way home from the Anaheim ANA show, I got a call from John Dannreuther. He had told me a few months earlier that he had a real Morgan dollar bombshell, and apparently the 64 Morgan was it. During our discussion, he described a visit to the mint and they had discovered that they had prepared 1964 Morgan dollar dies which were planned on being used in Philadelphia, while the 1964 Peace dollar dies were sent to Denver. Based on our conversation, the 1964 Morgan dollars were never struck, even though the dies had been prepared. I then asked him about the design, and if it was as shoddy as the 1921 Morgan. He said that it was much closer to the 1879-1904 design than to that of the 1921. I then wondered both designs were revived to prepare to satisfy demand for both types of coins that were being released from Treasury bags in 1963, or if the Morgan dollar would be a proof set issue, but there's no real answer to those questions, only conjecture.

Color me skeptical.

PCGS Forum Discussion

So, "fred weinberg" offers absolutely no evidence, no proof, no justification, and only veiled hints that something might exist somewhere..... and we're going to jump on this as proof?

No thank you.

Fred Weinberg is an error dealer. He has no authority in these matters. And he offers zero shreds of evidence except hinting that he is more important than he already thinks he is, and has access to secret hidden knowledge.

I'll believe it when I see it, and evidence that proves it. Until then, it's hocus pocus.

I'm pretty sure Fred is an authority on dies (errors and canceled). Hint wise I think perhaps 1964 Morgan dies maybe produced as the find. I'd be shocked if there was a coin. I hope I'm indeed shocked

M

Color me skeptical.

PCGS Forum Discussion

No thank you.

I'm pretty sure Fred is an authority on dies (errors and canceled). Hint wise I think perhaps 1964 Morgan dies maybe produced as the find. I'd be shocked if there was a coin. I hope I'm indeed shocked

M

If there is, somebody is going to need to read the now famous legal case of certain gold pieces and ownership.

The following was also found

obverse and reverse galvanos for the 1964 Peace dollar, plus hubs and master dies for that coin as well. No coins though

M

Now if the mint was smart they would figure away to get out of their own way and turn a blind eye to the rule book and struck up 25k of these. What a shot in the arm to this sleep unimaginative hobby. This would be the first Morgan I would own.

mark

Now if the mint was smart they would figure away to get out of their own way and turn a blind eye to the rule book and struck up 25k of these. What a shot in the arm to this sleep unimaginative hobby. This would be the first Morgan I would own.

mark

Parts of me I didn't even know existed are tingling right now just thinking about such a scenario coming to frution :)

Okay, now that we see a bit more evidence and get a bit more story, I'm starting to believe the hype.

So apparently the image on the cover of the book is of a die, not actually a coin.

This is like BigFoot and the Loch Ness monster were both confirmed on the same day. Wow.