• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So Apparently A 1964 Morgan Dollar Exist. This is not a drill folks!

114 posts in this topic

Okay, now that we see a bit more evidence and get a bit more story, I'm starting to believe the hype.

So apparently the image on the cover of the book is of a die, not actually a coin.

This is like BigFoot and the Loch Ness monster were both confirmed on the same day. Wow.

For someone who was so skeptical, you folded way too easily. :devil:

After all, the initial story pertained to a coin, not a die. And it sounds as if there still might not be a coin.

Okay, now that we see a bit more evidence and get a bit more story, I'm starting to believe the hype.

So apparently the image on the cover of the book is of a die, not actually a coin.

This is like BigFoot and the Loch Ness monster were both confirmed on the same day. Wow.

lol:insane:

Wow.

The US Mint should hire me to make some from those galvanos/hubs/dies.

If they were struck over genuine coins, that might allow the Mint to make them without requiring Congressional approval (since they would only be altering coins that were already issued with the same design, and not issuing entirely new coins which requires an act of Congress).

And/or they could make a set in 2021 which includes 2021-dated Morgan & Peace dollars, plus 1964-dated Morgan & Peace Dollars struck from those original dies. They could probably sell 100,000+ of those sets.

The difference is they did not do so because there was not approval. They followed the law. See how that works?

Your thought process is too limited. There are legal ways for them to make the coins without Congressional approval.

The difference is they did not do so because there was not approval. They followed the law. See how that works?

Your thought process is too limited. There are legal ways for them to make the coins without Congressional approval.

Of course there is. The lack of imagination in general in this hobby is limitless. This is just part of the reason your business thrives. Collectors are starving for a reason to be excited. This discovery will be another lost opportunity to spark the hobby. Instead we will be treated to looking at crappy dies. Yippie.

A bunch of sticks in the mud

mark

For someone who was so skeptical, you folded way too easily. :devil:

After all, the initial story pertained to a coin, not a die. And it sounds as if there still might not be a coin.

I'm not fully folded yet ;)

I'm still skeptical. But, we are starting to get more details (and pictures), and that is helping.

Good morning, all,

The central image on the cover of the book is of a MASTER DIE photographed from above.

It isn't a Chinese counterfeit, or an artist's conception, or a fantasy coin. It's an actual piece of hardware from the Mint's archives --- and a very exciting discovery!

-- Dennis

As is your thought process of finding methods to address with the US. Government via your Attorney whether or not you are in compliance with existing laws. However, you thought process of not finding methods for doing so is limitless.

Of course there is. The lack of imagination in general in this hobby is limitless. This is just part of the reason your business thrives. Collectors are starving for a reason to be excited. This discovery will be another lost opportunity to spark the hobby. Instead we will be treated to looking at crappy dies. Yippie.

mark

Describe the methods. That may give collectors a way to be a bit more excited and petition the sticks in the mud to do so. The sticks in the mud might even become excited.

As is your thought process of finding methods to address with the US. Government via your Attorney whether or not you are in compliance with existing laws. However, you thought process of not finding methods for doing so is limitless.

Harrasment of another member through unwanted and repeated arguing and conflict - particularly when exemplified by "following" that person from thread to thread

Hi-jacking of other people's threads in a way that stifles the originally intended topic against the objections of the thread creator

Good morning, all,

The central image on the cover of the book is of a MASTER DIE photographed from above.

It isn't a Chinese counterfeit, or an artist's conception, or a fantasy coin. It's an actual piece of hardware from the Mint's archives --- and a very exciting discovery!

-- Dennis

So a picture of a die, flipped to look like a struck coin.

Harrasment of another member through unwanted and repeated arguing and conflict - particularly when exemplified by "following" that person from thread to thread

Hi-jacking of other people's threads in a way that stifles the originally intended topic against the objections of the thread creator

That is bait, and is rather silly. The context of Mr. Carr broaching the subject in the manner he did is quite clear. You have a few options. Hit the notify button, and/or use "ignore" to not read any of my posts. You don't appreciate a person being questioned about a topic that the person has carried across many threads, including this thread, and continues to make assumptions concerning others with a different opinion. Mr. Carr has suggested he receive a contract from the U.S. Government in this thread. That is of interest, as he declares there are legal methods for doing so. What you term as arguing and conflict is your opinion. It is neither right or wrong. It just is. Mr Carr can certainly at any time pm me if he finds the questions intrusive and harassing, and I would most certainly honor his wishes.

mark

Describe the methods. That may give collectors a way to be a bit more excited and petition the sticks in the mud to do so. The sticks in the mud might even become excited.

Sure. Prepare working dies off of the new discovery and strike them on existing Morgan host coins. Seems like this is a very successful recipe. Don't have to get congress involved.

mark

Has Daniel Carr struck any yet???

;-)

I have considered doing a "1920" fantasy-date over-strike Morgan Dollar, but never considered a "1964".

The "1964" date in the photo looks "Chinese-ish".

It was stated that the photo might not be of the actual coin in question.

I will want to see much better photos of the actual coin, and documentation of the trail of custody, before I draw any conclusions.

For the benefit of Mr. Afterward.

;-)

I have considered doing a "1920" fantasy-date over-strike Morgan Dollar, but never considered a "1964".

I will want to see much better photos of the actual coin, and documentation of the trail of custody, before I draw any conclusions.

I assume you would not proceed with any future fabrication of any creations and sale to the public until contacting the U.S. Government via your Attorney, in order to determine compliance with existing U.S. laws. I assume your Attorney has advised you on your present and past fabrications and creations and sale to the public and advised you that the endeavors were in compliance with existing U.S. law.

It is sometimes best to review the entire picture, and quote correctly, before assuming and describing a position.

In other words, don't rob the bank and walk home in the snow.

In other words, don't call out one member that you may not be particularly enamored of, without calling out all similar commentary, and then do so under the guise of a singular person having improperly (in your opinion) posted a commentary. It is not helpful to the credibility of your opinion.

mark

Sure. Prepare working dies off of the new discovery and strike them on existing Morgan host coins. Seems like this is a very successful recipe. Don't have to get congress involved.

mark

I would be very interested in any U.S. law that would allow the process under discussion, without the approval of Congress.

;-)

I assume you would not proceed with any future fabrication of any creations and sale to the public until contacting the U.S. Government via your Attorney, in order to determine compliance with existing U.S. laws. I assume your Attorney has advised you on your present and past fabrications and creations and sale to the public and advised you that the endeavors were in compliance with existing U.S. law.

It is sometimes best to review the entire picture, and quote correctly, before assuming and describing a position.

In other words, don't call out one member that you may not be particularly enamored of, without calling out all similar commentary, and then do so under the guise of a singular person having improperly (in your opinion) posted a commentary. It is not helpful to the credibility of your opinion.

You now have at least six off-topic posts. Technically, I have two, but mine are attempts to prevent same.

Apparently, I am wasting my time. Carry on.

Good morning, all,

-- Dennis

No Sir, that's the orientation of the master die, not of a working die. We didn't find any working dies.

;-)

You now have at least six off-topic posts. Technically, I have two, but mine are attempts to prevent same.

Apparently, I am wasting my time. Carry on.

I appreciate your permission. I in turn extend the same courtesy toward you, and please note I have never suggested otherwise, nor would I.

I am happy I could assist you in reaching a conclusion that you may have been incorrect ( and a bit unreasonable and a bit unfair) in your redline judgmental post. We will both survive this non-important interlude.

Your time is never wasted when you learn something.

I will also extend the courtesy of not responding to any of your future posts in order to assist you in resisting any urge toward unfair judgement toward another member. That is best, I think.

I thought a master die would look like a working die (an incuse reverse image), while hubs would resemble the finished coin (elevated devices, recessed fields).

Semantics problem?

mark

mark

I would be very interested in any U.S. law that would allow the process under discussion, without the approval of Congress.

Well, if privately done, this would call the Hobby Protection Act into play, requiring the pieces to be marked with the word "COPY."

Good morning, all,

-- Dennis

No Sir, that's the orientation of the master die, not of a working die. We didn't find any working dies.

A die, whether a master die or a working die, is incused and backwards. A hub, whether a master hub or a working hub, is raised and has the design appearing like that of the finished coin. If this image is raised and normal, it is of a hub of some sort.

TD

mark

mark

Well, if privately done, this would call the Hobby Protection Act into play, requiring the pieces to be marked with the word "COPY."

That makes sense to me. Re. your earlier question, I do not have a method to link as my account and as far as I know my posts are not there, and even if they were, I would be required to sign back up and something tells me that will not occur.

mark

mark

That makes sense to me. Re. your earlier question, I do not have a method to link as my account and as far as I know my posts are not there, and even if they were, I would be required to sign back up and something tells me that will not occur.

Well there is precedence to the contrary but let's not go down that rabbit hole.

I was taking about the Mint striking these up themselves on host Morgan's. It would be amazing for the hobby

mark

More likely a hub not a die.

It is possible to photograph a die with the right lighting and them mirror the photograph to make it look like a coin or hub.

Dentuck recently indicated, it is of a "master die".

I think it is of a hub, or the a mirrored picture of a master die.