• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So Apparently A 1964 Morgan Dollar Exist. This is not a drill folks!

114 posts in this topic

I went to the press conference in Chicago where the Illinois statehood quarter design was released to the press, and it was quite surreal in that the Governor was there and it was just before he was indicted for taking bribes while Secretary of State. The first several questions from the press were all asking the Governor about the charges, completely ignoring the coin, and when I got called on I said "I'm Tom DeLorey of Coinage Magazine..." and I asked the designer about why he only used part of the Chicago skyline, and he explained how the Mint had modified it from the original design for reasons of scale, and all the reporters are muttering "Who gives a flying flip about some stupid coin??? We have a Governor to kill!" That was the only numismatic question asked that day.

Thanks, that was a good story.

In addition to the Peace dollar 1921 casts for both sides - including the broken sword reverse - are the 1964 galvanos and hubs there?

From the updated Coin World article.

Was anything else interesting found?

How about obverse and reverse models for the 1964 Peace dollar (really!), plus hubs and master dies for that coin as well, which we know were struck.

So yes they found the galvanos and master hub for the 64 peace dollar as well.

I'm anxiously awaiting pictures of the 1964 Peace Dollar galvano and/or hub.

The 1964 Morgan Galvanos appear to have somewhat rounded lettering.

Are the 1964 Peace galvanos the same ?

If Gasparro made both, then both may have that lettering style.

The 1921 Peace dollar obverse cast was photographed by Bill Fivaz over a decade ago when he was in the Philadelphia Mint for some reason. The reverse cast, showing the broken sword, was no seen.

I went to the press conference in Chicago where the Illinois statehood quarter design was released to the press, and it was quite surreal in that the Governor was there and it was just before he was indicted for taking bribes while Secretary of State. The first several questions from the press were all asking the Governor about the charges, completely ignoring the coin, and when I got called on I said "I'm Tom DeLorey of Coinage Magazine..." and I asked the designer about why he only used part of the Chicago skyline, and he explained how the Mint had modified it from the original design for reasons of scale, and all the reporters are muttering "Who gives a flying flip about some stupid coin??? We have a Governor to kill!" That was the only numismatic question asked that day.

Sure was!

mark

That was two indicted governors ago.

Coin World's Monday Morning Brief video has a few pictures in the background that I had not seen released before:

http://www.coinworld.com/videos/2016/09/monday-morning-brief-september-5-2016.html?utm_medium=Email&utm_source=ExactTarget&utm_campaign=cw_editorial_monday-morning-brief&utm_content=

Definitely worth the price of the digital subscription to Coin World!

TD

Twice in the video he says that we never knew they were considering striking 1964 Morgan dollars, but that consideration was revealed several years ago in RWB's book on the peace dollar, and that it was decided to use the Peace dollar instead. What is new here is that they went beyond mere discussion and actually made galvanos, master hubs and possibly master dies. (Haven't seen any pictures of a master die yet.)

Twice in the video he says that we never knew they were considering striking 1964 Morgan dollars, but that consideration was revealed several years ago in RWB's book on the peace dollar, and that it was decided to use the Peace dollar instead. What is new here is that they went beyond mere discussion and actually made galvanos, master hubs and possibly master dies. (Haven't seen any pictures of a master die yet.)

Au contraire.....look at the Coin World video again, at the picture that appears at about 1:49. Above the obverse hub, a cropped picture of which was previously released, there is a master die for the reverse. The eagle is facing right, and you can see that ONE DOLLAR is backwards.

Thanks, Conder. I have reported that Roger wrote about the Mint's consideration of the Morgan design for the 1964 silver dollar production so I am familiar with his research. The point I was trying to make in the video, which apparently did not come across as clearly as intended, is that we did not know previously how close we got to a 1964 Morgan dollar. I am going to blame the confusion on the fact that I am a writer/editor first, where I am more precise, and a public speaker a distant second (as you can tell).There's a reason I went into print journalism and not broadcast journalism. :)

William T. Gibbs

Is that it ? What a great thread. I love the idea of 2021 sets of Morgan and Peace dollars. I'm already prepared to pay premiums for aftermarket sets because of course they would sell out in minutes all 100k of them !

In the new "A Guide Book of Modern United States Dollar Coins" by Q. David Bowers, there is an introductory chapter on the dollars of 1794-1935. At the end of that chapter are pictures of the 1964 Morgan Dollar obverse galvano that we have already seen, and a picture of a 1964 Peace Dollar die.

I assume it is a master die, though unfortunately the picture is trimmed to just the coin diameter and you cannot see the shoulder of the die.

The design appears to have a straight leg on the "R" of "TRVST," which would make it the hub style of 1934-35. Looking at the digits "1, 9 & 4" of the date, I would say that the Mint probably used a 1934 dollar on the Janvier lathe to copy the design, after which they removed the "3" and replaced it with an upside-down "9." Overall it looks like a much more realistic Peace dollar date than that crude "1964" seen on the Morgan dollar galvano and master hub.

TD

Thanks, Conder. I have reported that Roger wrote about the Mint's consideration of the Morgan design for the 1964 silver dollar production so I am familiar with his research. The point I was trying to make in the video, which apparently did not come across as clearly as intended, is that we did not know previously how close we got to a 1964 Morgan dollar. I am going to blame the confusion on the fact that I am a writer/editor first, where I am more precise, and a public speaker a distant second (as you can tell).There's a reason I went into print journalism and not broadcast journalism. :)

William T. Gibbs

Welcome aboard and I see you received a prestigious colored handle (thumbs u

I meant to mention the 1964 Morgan reverse 'master die' looks like it is struck 'off center' maybe it's me, the angle...anyway I'm still scratching my head over all this. This is like a puzzle that is missing pieces, you know you have them, but where?

William T. Gibbs

Registered 7/30/03 :makepoint:

He is watching us.....he knows everything we do and say. :ohnoez:

RE The design appears to have a straight leg on the "R" of "TRVST," which would make it the hub style of 1934-35. Looking at the digits "1, 9 & 4" of the date, I would say that the Mint probably used a 1934 dollar on the Janvier lathe to copy the design, after which they removed the "3" and replaced it with an upside-down "9." Overall it looks like a much more realistic Peace dollar date than that crude "1964" seen on the Morgan dollar galvano and master hub.

It is easier to understand what was going on by looking in the 3rd edition of A Guide Book for Peace Dollars. The photo is of a 1964 obverse working die, that was reversed for viewing convenience. The original photo was taken at an oblique angle and required geometric correction and other image processing to bring out available detail. (I performed the image corrections.) The published photo is not of sufficient resolution to permit proper analysis. Frank Gasparo had to remodel the 1964 Peace dollar, so it was not made by mechanically copying a 1934 or 1935 coin. However, it is likely that he used coins from these last two years as design prototypes.

Aesthetically, it would have been much better if Gasparo had made a new reduction from the original 1921 obverse iron cast as provided by deFrancisci and James Fraser. This would have returned the design to its intended form and detail. Unless there is something in Gasparo's family papers discussing this, we will never know why the original was not used. [it is possible, given the cluttered and confused condition of casts, models and other materials, that he did not know the original existed.)

William T. Gibbs

As a journalist, what is your opinion, if any, of including any reference to the subject matter in the Red Book?

William T. Gibbs

I did not even notice that tidbit...se what I mean about puzzled?

I'm glad we have some experts sorting all of this out for us wanting to know.

William T. Gibbs

Well, this was only his 3rd post in 13 years.... so I don't think he's watching us too closely ;)

William T. Gibbs

Well, this was only his 3rd post in 13 years.... so I don't think he's watching us too closely ;)

If posting was the measure of such things..... ;)

I just had to change the header to more realistically identify with the findings.

Now I feel better.

The grammar was still killing me. Singulars and plurals together in strife!

Fixed.... now I also feel better ;)