• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hoping to convert my change into a nice addition to my collection

14 posts in this topic

Heck ya! I have one of these big water bottles with change too. Its maybe about 1/3 rd full. Its very surprising how much change you can accumulate after time. You should have enough there for something very nice

I let my kid who helped have all of the dollar and half dollar coins. Being a coin collector and having gone through a phase where I'd pick up the occasional roll to use in commerce only to empty half from my change compartment in my car to the jar, he ended up with $180 in dollars and halves.

Sorry no way there is 2000 dollars in that bottle if pennies are included. And how did you get those coins to the bank ?

Oh and yes 500$ bills were pulled from circulation many years ago.

? I am glad someone finally saw the $500. I threw that in as a joke, and sent the picture to a cousin and a friend and neither caught it. ? Glad to learn that folks here have better eyesight.

Anyway, the total for the bottle without the dollar and half dollar coins was: $1,756.21 (after the coin sorter fee). I put the coins in smaller buckets and took two trips to Wal Mart to use the coin sorting machine.

Since I am starting with $1,756, the questions I am asking myself now are:

(1) Do I add the $1,000 +/- I normally budget for the coin show and spend $2,750 (let's say $3,000 for a nice round number); or

(2) just spend the $1,756?

The next question I am asking myself is do I look for one really nice coin, or go for two or more coins?

My type coin collection has gotten to the point that the next coins could be pricy (to my budget). For example, coins on eBay I like (though I assume are overpriced since they have been listed forever) are:

MS64 Barber half for $1,595.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/182116463125?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

MS64 1820 Cent for $3,125.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281528629287?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

?Anyway, the total for the bottle without the dollar and half dollar coins was: $1,756.21 (after the coin sorter fee).

My credit union doesn't charge a fee if you have an account there, neither does the bank where I have a safe deposit box. You can always deposit the "receipt" and then withdraw the cash for the coin show.

I have a plastic one quart bank that looks like a mason jar sitting on my desk, when full it usually contains $190 - $200, mostly quarters.

Sorry, but everytime I see this kind of thing I always wonder how many rare or potentially valuable coins went to the bank. People used to check all the same coins over and over and over until there was nothing left in circulation. Now they save it all up and turn it in without ever looking at any of them.

Good luck on the shopping trip.

Unfortunately my bank does not provide that service. I checked. Plus, as a corporate lawyer with a high billable rate, I had to find a place that was open on a weekend or holiday. The whole process took a few hours, and that was with my kids helping.

Sorry, but everytime I see this kind of thing I always wonder how many rare or potentially valuable coins went to the bank. People used to check all the same coins over and over and over until there was nothing left in circulation. Now they save it all up and turn it in without ever looking at any of them.

Good luck on the shopping trip.

I check my change when I get it.

I save my loose change in a large bowl, and when filled I usually end up with $80 or so. I too check my change and found a nice 1940 wheat penny some months ago. Even though I have single coins worth thousands of dollars, I have to admit I was tickled to even find a wheat penny. It reminds of of the early days and Whitman folders.